Most disgraceful customer supplied refreshments.

Mick Dempsey

If my brother is with me at a customer I have done work for in pass he always looks at me to find out what I ask for. One of my customers makes a great mug of coffee, and an old lady I ve work for makes great tea, found out she was tea lady on trains years ago.

Years ago did a garden clearance job, Lady of the house how was Irish asked if we would like some tea yes please we replied out it came in mugs and was placed on Land rover wing good cupper. anyway husband was home second day and wife out playing golf, ask if we would will tea yes please. Gardener laughed when I said cupper on its way, 25min later out he can cups saucers tea pot the whole works, turned out to be owner of big shipping business  and treated everyone how he liked to be treaded. 

• Like 3

Years back working in Cambridge for a scientist who was on one or many spectrums-

“any chance of a cuppa tea?”

”oh, er, yes, I’ve only got red tea, is that ok?”

(Diddnt know wtf red tea was) 

“yeah sure”

“I’ve only got goats milk, That ok?”

(again never had goats milk)

”yeah ok, you got any sugar”

”yes! Brown sugar….”

I took a sip, and tried to hide my disgust 

my colleague took a sip

spits It out “THATS FCUKING DISGUSTING, WHAT THE FCUK IS THIS SIHT!”

(followed by vomiting gestures)! in front of the customer 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

A teabag and milk must never touch.

Pulling a teabag out of a mug of tea where the milk has already been added is visually akin to the morning after a Barrymore pool party.

Teabag stays in. Milk gets added 5 mins or so after. 

I bring my own brew kit. Some customers look offended when i decline their offer then make my own. 

• Like 2

Prefer coffee but if it's offered I'll take it. Complete lottery. You might get a stale biscuit and a thimble of pee water, or homemade soup and cake. I have furtively poured a cup or two away and a nearby dog can be useful.

When they ask how do you take it, we ask them to bring it all out and we'll do it ourselves which helps.

Anyone else have a rule of taking the empties back as soon as your finished? Introduced that after filling one too many sugar bowls with chipper dust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doug Tait said:

Anyone else have a rule of taking the empties back as soon as your finished? Introduced that after filling one too many sugar bowls with chipper dust.

Terrible mistake Doug, if the coffee is good keep hold of the mugs for at least an hour, on the grounds you may get offered another brew.

• Like 2

I don't do house visits, but the workers who come to mine get offered a cup (filter coffee / PG tips) - and no offence if they say no. Life is too short to worry.

Cat in the house - no because they tend to walk all over the work surfaces after licking them selves clean and nibble on any biscuits.

However even with friends you get a feel for where is good for a brew and where isn't.

Cafes and coffee shops - if the staff look blankly when asking for a white coffee then it is time to walk, anything with frothy shit on top so you can't actually get any coffee to drink, froth gets left on the table. Anything with more milk in that water will seldom get finished.

Best cup? 20 miles into a marathon a few years ago (wasn't going to win, enjoying the run), old dears face over a wall asks "would you like a drink" "OK" thinking water, 5 mins later, best china and a proper cup of tea, in the back lanes of the lake district,. Magic.

• Like 1

Only have cold drinks, even in the winter so squash, juice or even just water will do.

not a fan of tea, only have one strong black filter coffee first thing in the morning which gets things moving if you know what I mean - definitely don’t want that effect whilst out working!

if it’s really cold I’ll accept a hot drink just to warm my hands on.

A couple of my regulars will do bacon sandwiches for us and one will pop out to Greggs for sausage rolls- love working there 👍