Most disgraceful customer supplied refreshments.

Mick Dempsey

I Always take my own flask. A liter of brewed coffee is normally enough for the day.I don't really do domestic work anymore but remember when I did it got to the stage where the quality of hot beverages coming out was so poor and not always that hot either- plus it never seemed to come out the right time. 

Mick, not sure 40 mins x 5 make 2 hours.

Bombadil, thanks for the reminder about Bovril, I love a hot Bovril on a cold day.

Agree about Earl Grey and similar, always a dreadful surprise.

I do lighting for events rather than arb work and work at some quite nice private places for some quite well to do folk. Generally we're looked after really well (had a couple of bottles of very nice champagne left on the seat of the van whilst setting up a job this summer, not even afterwards!) and had the best steak of my life provided by the caterers running from a temporary kitchen in a marquee in someone's garden, but I did one very nice party (working right through the night) and the lady told us she'd cooked us some food and to go and help ourselves in the kitchen. Well I'm really not fussy but even I found it totally inedible. Never had food like it. Some uber-cheap supermarket lasagne that she'd somehow killed. Our problem then bacame what to do with it, we couldn't leave it, couldn't put it in her bin where she'd find it, couldn't feed 2 portions to the small dog as it would have ended up as dead as the lasagne, I ended up finding a carrier bag in the van and having to take it home for disposal. And the main event caterer would happily have fed us if she'd been asked in advance. I'm scarred from the experience.

The builders currently putting up an extension for us at home seemed very surprised to find they get decent coffee here. And proper builders tea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I often have a long drive home so get the customer to put me some fruit tea and a spoon of honey in my flask for the road. Sometimes no fruit tea so approximate with hot squash. Had a cracker the other day though. Put in the requisition and he reeled off a choice of

lovely-sounding left wing brews. Went for the hibiscus one with a couple of spoons of what I was suspect was pretty top shelf honey. Made the day.

• Thanks 1