Walker killed by cattle....

kevinjohnsonmbe

A good friend of mine, who spent his whole life working alone amongst cattle was gored and trampled on by a bull, according to the autopsy/coroners report.
He didn’t come in for his lunch and his daughter found him after a search down their fields.
My own grandfather, who early in his life worked with cows, told me in old age that he never went near a bull without a 2 tined fork in his hand.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, difflock said:

Yet I have seen documented cases where the Ramblers Association has quite needlessly either fought hard or flexed their muscle, to prevent farmers rerouting ROWS due to enlarged fields or boundary changes 

1 minute ago, parkertrees said:

we had a footpath go up the side of our barn and though our yard at previous home. nobody except the most zealous ramblers used to go that way, as there was a much easier, more picturesque and more direct route that went around. We had the council visit numerous times to assess it, but they wouldn't relocate it, stubborn old gits.   

Its quite laughable that the ones most against these changes only use these rights of way for recreational use or dog walking, you would have thought they would relish the thought of extending it a tad.It would take forever to generate RAMS and implement H&S to safeguard a walker strolling around farmland, no doubt more mind numbing legislation will be winging its way towards landowners in an attempt to add another tier of misery to their lives.

Bob

• Like 2

This is not to far from me and i read about it last wk in the local rag, its a very popular walk and walking area all round there, I believe the people involved was on the public right of way but had the 2 yappy dogs with them which will not help the situation, 

We have possibly met the 2 people involved a few years ago when we was repairing some walls, they came across from a public footpath to see what we was doing with the dogs niether on a lead at this time and ewes with lambs in the same field, the 2 dogs in question never shut up yapping and making a beline for my hands when i went to pick a piece of stone up, i said should they not be on a lead, she said they wont touch any thing 5 mins later these dogs where chasing the sheep n lambs, i think what has gone on is a load of bull and no way should that farmer be held resposible for whats gone on ? or is this just another part of the governments plan to get rid of another farmer !!!  

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, john87 said:

Public right of way, end of.. You cannot put cows with calves or bulls or anything else dangerous in a field with a right of way across it. Farmer not happy with this?? Should not have bought the field then..

john..

Never quite that simple 

Edited by dumper
Spelling
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, john87 said:

Public right of way, end of.. You cannot put cows with calves or bulls or anything else dangerous in a field with a right of way across it. Farmer not happy with this?? Should not have bought the field then..

john..

If I had the misfortune to own such a field, I might be tempted to be rather generous, rather often with FYM, slurry, blood, and sewage cake.

(Though unfortunately the farmers hands are now tied due to onerous regulations regarding such  applications.)

• Like 2

Seen a lot of cows with calves and even bulls in fields walking around Norfolk. We tend to keep well away and keep an eye out on what they are up to as they always look a bit evil....horses are daft, cows are a bit menacing.

I always tell the wife to leg it if they start to chase and if they get too close, smack them on the end of the nose real hard....no idea if I could outrun a cow, google says they go 25mph...I can't see them doing a 200 yard sprint and then laying down a decent pace over half a mile just to catch us and hopefully we will never find out. 

Agree about the dogs and sheep, if we walk anywhere close to sheep, the dog is on a very short lead and dragged across the field at heel! 

Also..all gates shut and locked behind us!

Edited by spudulike
  • Like 1

Obviously, you should not take a dog into a field with sheep in it, whether the thing is on a lead or not, that is worrying livestock an you fully deserve to have your dog shot, i have shot quite a few myself..

But, a right of way is just that. It is not a right of way when it suits the farmer nor can you endanger people on your land. I for instance could not dig a large hole in my front garden and say nothing to do with me if the postman falls into it..

Farmers seem a bit averse to following laws that apply to the rest of us.. Let me put it like this.. Most, if not all of you, will have kids.. How would YOU feel if your child was lawfully making its way along a public right of way with friends only to be killed by bull that some idiot has left in a field with cows etc...

Be different then eh!!

john..

13 minutes ago, john87 said:

Obviously, you should not take a dog into a field with sheep in it, whether the thing is on a lead or not, that is worrying livestock an you fully deserve to have your dog shot, i have shot quite a few myself..

Would you shoot this dog?

DSC_0251.thumb.JPG.bfe8e5c50f794e2550a6c20064cd5d8a.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1