Walker killed by cattle....

kevinjohnsonmbe

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Its quite laughable that the ones most against these changes only use these rights of way for recreational use or dog walking, you would have thought they would relish the thought of extending it a tad.It would take forever to generate RAMS and implement H&S to safeguard a walker strolling around farmland, no doubt more mind numbing legislation will be winging its way towards landowners in an attempt to add another tier of misery to their lives.

Bob in our area OSS, Ramblers nor I object to routes that take PRoWs away from yards. In fact one such diversion has been confirmed  only 400 yards from my home.

The highway Authority do require costs to be borne by the person making the application and often owners are unwilling to pay this unless (as in the case above where the owner wanted to build a barn and manege)  there is a development benefit.

The diversion has to offer the public the same or better amenity as the existing route. In the above case the owner wanted the path enclosed by fences and agreed a 10 ft width, no barbed wire and no obstruction by gate or stile from the public road up until a track which livestock could use.

Even then there are problems for walkers in that the enclosed path then becomes the responsibility for the HA to maintain, and they don't, again in the instance above the owner, a local developer, has orally agreed to mow the path, it cannot be a formal agreement as  the HA taking the responsibility is part of the legislation for when paths are enclosed.

• Like 1

Just now, peds said:

Brilliant. 

Well, they do not. BUT the sheep in the photo are clearly worried, that is why they have bunched together, HOWEVER, when you are working sheep with a dog, you do not let the dog do as it likes.

For a start off, you DO NOT let the dog get too close to the sheep, nor to you let the dog "hurry" the sheep, as, if you do they often simply fall down dead. Apparently, a sheep has a very small heart for the size of its body you see.

Anyway, when you work sheep with a dog, you know what you are doing.. Even so, you have to be careful with the dog, as, sometimes, the dogs will go moving the sheep from field to field on their own, so you get the dog and beat the living daylights out of it. That cures that..

If you see a dog on its own in you field, even if it is doing nothing wrong, just looking, you have to shoot it. Reason for this, is you can GUARANTEE that the dog will be back later with its mates.. THEN they will not just stand and look..

Equally, you get dog owners that think it is amusing to let their dog chase the sheep adn when challenged they get abusive and say "it is only playing" They tend to be most put out when you say you have three seconds to get it under control or i will blast it for you.

When you see that something is bothering your sheep, [they will make a lot of noise and bunch together] and you go out and you see live sheep with their guts dragging on the ground or maybe 20 of them with their ears ripped off, you tend to take a dim view next time you see a dog in the field.

john..

• Like 5

1 hour ago, john87 said:

Well, they do not. BUT the sheep in the photo are clearly worried, that is why they have bunched together, HOWEVER, when you are working sheep with a dog, you do not let the dog do as it likes.

For a start off, you DO NOT let the dog get too close to the sheep, nor to you let the dog "hurry" the sheep, as, if you do they often simply fall down dead. Apparently, a sheep has a very small heart for the size of its body you see.

Anyway, when you work sheep with a dog, you know what you are doing.. Even so, you have to be careful with the dog, as, sometimes, the dogs will go moving the sheep from field to field on their own, so you get the dog and beat the living daylights out of it. That cures that..

If you see a dog on its own in you field, even if it is doing nothing wrong, just looking, you have to shoot it. Reason for this, is you can GUARANTEE that the dog will be back later with its mates.. THEN they will not just stand and look..

Equally, you get dog owners that think it is amusing to let their dog chase the sheep adn when challenged they get abusive and say "it is only playing" They tend to be most put out when you say you have three seconds to get it under control or i will blast it for you.

When you see that something is bothering your sheep, [they will make a lot of noise and bunch together] and you go out and you see live sheep with their guts dragging on the ground or maybe 20 of them with their ears ripped off, you tend to take a dim view next time you see a dog in the field.

john..

A very emotive subject and you're explanation of the results that happen from dog attacks on animals I've no doubt of and I accept your right to deal with a dog that's worrying sheep or worse.

Unfortunately far to many dogs are encouraged to take on the traits of their arsehole owners and I'd very much appreciate if you'd shoot them too.

My near 16 year old loves inspecting nature just like me,  she'll stand over and watch a beetle or spider with interest and on a recent walk through highland cows she ended up nose to nose with the bull which I wish I  had a pics of, so you can't tar them all.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, john87 said:

john..

The sheep in the photo are not worried in the least, they gathered together not in fear but in expectation of being fed, they followed the dog and I happily because they know they're in no danger. I well understand both dogs and stock, and I'm sorry but I think your knowledge is lacking. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Macpherson said:

A very emotive subject and you're explanation of the results that happen from dog attacks on animals I've no doubt of and I accept your right to deal with a dog that's worrying sheep or worse.

Unfortunately far to many dogs are encouraged to take on the traits of their arsehole owners and I'd very much appreciate if you'd shoot them too.

My near 16 year old loves inspecting nature just like me,  she'll stand over and watch a beetle or spider with interest and on a recent walk through highland cows she ended up nose to nose with the bull which I wish I  had a pics of, so you can't tar them all.....

DSC_0267.thumb.JPG.6dea883b12ff9a993789aee5e41c71a8.JPG

• Like 7

9 hours ago, john87 said:

john..

Its not often i will say wot a load of bollocks but i'm afraid some of ur posts on this topic are.

Sheep don't just abort by looking at a dog, bloody hell wot do they do when they see a fox or badger prowling about???

If they ever do release wolves sheep farmers are truely knackered, never mind wolves eating the lambs be no lambs about as sheep will have aborted after just seeing a wolf in the distance

I've seen some of the local farmers sheep dogs and most are pretty poor, not unusual to see and few grabing sheep by the neck but some herds like a dog to do that on comand.

Some hill shepherds will move sheep for miles upon mles with out sheep falling over having heart attacks.

Even when sheep are pregnantt still moved about and brought into pens for scanning etc all fairly stressful operations, but essential and shouldn't abort because of that

I would go away and read the law on sheep worrying and the advice given by NFU, farmers guardian etc.

Ur leaving ur self wide open to being done for shooting a dog.

U cannot threaten to shot someones dog, evena dog  running wild and worrying sheep, the minute they have control u have missed ur opportunity to shoot it, it must be in the act.

Also a lot easier legally with a shotgun ( not S1) than a rifle, gets complicated with conditions etc

Even any warning signs u put up u can't threaten to shoot dogs, legally, u can warn the to be on leads and under control thou or sheep in the field or advise them of country code.

But i do realise many will ignore them anyway, just last week we lost track of the ammount of walkers that walked throu warning tape and signs to 'see wot we were doing with the chainsaws' in a nature reserve, lucky small trees so no real danger but the stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

Farmers DO NOT have the right to shoot a dog no matter wot it is doing but they do have a defence for shooting it if it is in the act of worrying.

If u have followed the law/advice u will be ok legally, ( sometimes dog owners will take alternative actions thou, fences cut, gates left open ) but just shooting a dog in a field for looking, its just a matter of time before ur guns are taken off u. Really not on

Really folk have to have some responsibility for their own actions

But cows are getting far worse nowadays to walk throu, a previous job i walked miles every day throu farmers fields/livestock, never really a problem althou towards the end stock getting wilder and more jumpy, about 15 years ago bought a quad bike and the difference was unbelevable, could drive irght throu the middle of a herd all lying down chewing and they wouldn't even lift there heads.

The change to european cattle breeds hasn't helped as all a bit skittish and large but the biggest problem is cattle are never used to seeing someone walking now, the farmer almost always looks them in a pick up, tractor or quad and never walks like the old days.

They just don't spend the time with them they would off in the past, often feed with a feed wagon now so not even grapeing silage to them now

I know 1 farmer stopped using his quad for the cattle to make them easier to work  with in the pens

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1