Walker killed by cattle....

kevinjohnsonmbe

41 minutes ago, john87 said:

Ah, well theres a funny old thing.. Suggest you look what the law states instead of guessing.. You state that "Farmers DO NOT have the right to shoot a dog no matter wot it is doing but they do have a defence for shooting it if it is in the act of worrying"

Ok, lets see what the LAW classes as "worrying" then..

Oh look..

For the purposes of this Act [Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953] worrying livestock means—

(a)attacking livestock, or

(b) chasing livestock in such a way as may reasonably be expected to cause injury or suffering to the livestock or, in the case of females, abortion, or loss of or diminution in their produce.

or

(c) being at large (that is to say not on a lead or otherwise under close control) in a field or enclosure in which there are sheep]

So there you are, simply being "at large" is worrying..

Now, why do you think the law includes being "at large" if this is not worrying the sheep?? and as you rightly say, if they are being worried, you shoot the dog..

Secondly, everytime we shot a dog, [and there were plenty] we got the police [it is a requirement to report you have shot one] who would generally come and have a look.

Funny how we never got arrested or guns taken off us then...

john..

Nice burn! 👍🙂 

People get triggered when there's a threat to their doggies. The doggies can do no wrong. In Ireland the rule is you can shoot the dog if it's at large, but the convention is to give a single warning, if it's known who the dog belongs to...

Sheep don't drop dead from the sight of a strange dog, it's the mad stampeding when the dog chases them and panic that causes the heart attacks and abortions...yes, farmers move sheep for miles, it's true, but they don't make the sheep run. Totally different. Any sheep don't drop dead when badgers are around because badgers don't chase them.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, john87 said:

Ah, well theres a funny old thing.. Suggest you look what the law states instead of guessing.. You state that "Farmers DO NOT have the right to shoot a dog no matter wot it is doing but they do have a defence for shooting it if it is in the act of worrying"

Ok, lets see what the LAW classes as "worrying" then..

Oh look..

For the purposes of this Act [Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953] worrying livestock means—

(a)attacking livestock, or

(b) chasing livestock in such a way as may reasonably be expected to cause injury or suffering to the livestock or, in the case of females, abortion, or loss of or diminution in their produce.

or

(c) being at large (that is to say not on a lead or otherwise under close control) in a field or enclosure in which there are sheep]

So there you are, simply being "at large" is worrying..

Now, why do you think the law includes being "at large" if this is not worrying the sheep?? and as you rightly say, if they are being worried, you shoot the dog..

Secondly, everytime we shot a dog, [and there were plenty] we got the police [it is a requirement to report you have shot one] who would generally come and have a look.

Funny how we never got arrested or guns taken off us then...

john..

No 'being at large or not under close control' is the phrase.

And that is a defence it is not a right.

U simply cannot shoot a dog for looking at sheep in a field, that is a fact.

Look at any written advice on it from wot ever source u want NFU etc, no one will advise that.

Even if u find a dog covered in blood and wool but all the sheep that were in the field are dead strictly speaking  u cannot shoot it ( althou i don't think anyone would complain if u did) as it no longer is in the act of worrying. It may very well have killed all the sheep but thats not the point

U can catch and report it and claim for damages of the owner, but strictly speaking legally u can't shoot it.

Also u cannot catch a dog that was worrying tie it up or put in the pick up/quad trailer while u go and get ur gun to shoot it as it has stopped the act

If u shooting dogs the way u claim ur very lucky not to have got in trouble for it, we've all heard of farmers shooting a dog and stuffing some wool in its mouth but if u are caught out it is u in the wrong. And with all these camera phones nowadays its only a matter of time till u are caught out

By law u have to inform the police within 24hrs of shooting a dog.

U shoot a dog in those circumstances that belongs to a lawyer or someone a bit more clued up and see how u get on. Or if u get some different police officers

I'm no saying u can't but just not the way u claim to be doing it.

Wot are u shooting all these dogs with???

I've had some bollockings in the past for not shooting the landowners and his sisters dogs when running wild but only killing pheasants so not legal to do so.

Was never going to end well if i did shoot them, even if it was the old SSS method

The neighbouring farmer ended up shooting them a few months later for stock worrying, i think he has had 6 dogs shot now for stock worrying over the last 30 yrs and thats a land owner

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stere said:

I think thats spot on

Had  a job with  acess by a walk through a field with water buffalo they looked and  were abit frisky really gave you the evil eye, and liked to charge up behind if you turn your back on them 😬.

Father and son killed in water buffalo attack on farm, inquest told -  Somerset Live

Aye just not the staff on farms nowadays for the stock to be looked/handled the way it used to be, plus most farmers are running far more stock than they ever have done in the past.

Many farms it is get them feed as quick as possible, quick drive up aisle with feed wagon and on to the next shed or even a 2nd job, agri contracting, fencing, shed building hgv driver etc.

Compared to the old days when farmers would know almost every cow by sight and could feed them out of their hand or walk them field to field with a bucket of cattle cake

My grampa was tossed by a jersey bull years ago and it broke his neck.

They reckon he was the only 1 that could handle it, but he had just got out of a longish spell in hospital after a riding/hunting accident and still had his good clothes on and went to see the bull as noone had been near it and it tossed him as it didn't recognise him

• Like 1

I had a herd of steers chasing me round a field one night when I was out rabbit shooting. A soon as I moved they charged towards me bucking and kicking. It was a game, but a bloody nuisance because no rabbits were going to put in an appearance with that commotion going on. 

I kept going hoping they'd get used to me and give it up but they didn't. Every time I moved, the stampede started again. In the end I just sat down in front of them, on the spot where I'd planned to shoot from. The steers charged up and ground to a halt right behind me and stood there snorting and blowing. One of them pushed my hat off, but when they realised I wasn't going to play any more, they got bored and wandered off.   

Last time we threatened to shoot some ones dog is because her pack of animals ripped apart 12 ewes and lambs ... lazy fat cow would open her van door let them run off in the forest to do there own thing rather than keep them on a lead , the usual thing usually involved killing anything in there path including other dogs and then wondered why all the locals hated her.
To this day if I see some one walk through the footpath in front of the house with out there dog on a lead it really bothers me though .

• Like 2

22 hours ago, john87 said:

Well, they do not. BUT the sheep in the photo are clearly worried, that is why they have bunched together, HOWEVER, when you are working sheep with a dog, you do not let the dog do as it likes.

For a start off, you DO NOT let the dog get too close to the sheep, nor to you let the dog "hurry" the sheep, as, if you do they often simply fall down dead. Apparently, a sheep has a very small heart for the size of its body you see.

Anyway, when you work sheep with a dog, you know what you are doing.. Even so, you have to be careful with the dog, as, sometimes, the dogs will go moving the sheep from field to field on their own, so you get the dog and beat the living daylights out of it. That cures that..

If you see a dog on its own in you field, even if it is doing nothing wrong, just looking, you have to shoot it. Reason for this, is you can GUARANTEE that the dog will be back later with its mates.. THEN they will not just stand and look..

Equally, you get dog owners that think it is amusing to let their dog chase the sheep adn when challenged they get abusive and say "it is only playing" They tend to be most put out when you say you have three seconds to get it under control or i will blast it for you.

When you see that something is bothering your sheep, [they will make a lot of noise and bunch together] and you go out and you see live sheep with their guts dragging on the ground or maybe 20 of them with their ears ripped off, you tend to take a dim view next time you see a dog in the field.

john..

02EAD819-2203-4388-A815-A07503E8A5B7.thumb.jpeg.280be14fc2e02bbcbae47c9fff85c285.jpeg72F3CB92-4E02-4D38-A307-5F01D2FE1C21.thumb.jpeg.02d87d7cb52ccb21edbc7944d705a226.jpegThese don’t look too bothered by my dog John,as for “beating the living daylights”out of a dog on a farm for not doing what you want,well I hope I never see anybody doing that,as for not putting cows in a field because of a footpath,well thats just bollox

• Like 9

16 hours ago, spudulike said:

no idea if I could outrun a cow, google says they go 25mph...I can't see them doing a 200 yard sprint and then laying down a decent pace over half a mile just to catch us and hopefully we will never find out. 

As a fit teenager working on a dairy farm I would struggle to outrun the Friesian milkers, let alone heffers. No chance now I am in my 60's. BUT, if people could stay calm and remember they can out manouevre cattle it would help, unless surrounded by them. I was cornered in my yard late last year by the bull that broke into our field when feeling interested in the cows. I stayed calm, knowing I could jump over the gate in a flash. 

• Like 2