Parish council agree to fell tree - how to stop?

Two Acres

I am a parish councillor, and we had a similar request. A holly tree was growing close to this guys boundary, and he was worried about it damaging his fence. The tree is not in a conservation area, but is on a piece of amenity green and woodland.

we as a council decided the tree should remain, as felling it had a detrimental affect on the area, and it would set a dangerous precedent for others. You live by a wooded area, enjoy it and put up with it was our stance.

I am somewhat surprised by your local council, and I can only think this guy is mates with them all.

kick up a stink at the next meeting, and make as much of a nuisance as you can with the local TO

:thumbup1:

Someone will probably confirm or otherwise, but I'd think, unless the parish council is the tree owner (which would only give them ability to consent if approved) they are simply a consultee rather than being in an executive decision making position in either CA or TPO scenario.

Looking forward to the pics to follow!:thumbup::thumbup:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a parish councillor, and we had a similar request. A holly tree was growing close to this guys boundary, and he was worried about it damaging his fence. The tree is not in a conservation area, but is on a piece of amenity green and woodland.

we as a council decided the tree should remain, as felling it had a detrimental affect on the area, and it would set a dangerous precedent for others. You live by a wooded area, enjoy it and put up with it was our stance.

I am somewhat surprised by your local council, and I can only think this guy is mates with them all.

kick up a stink at the next meeting, and make as much of a nuisance as you can with the local TO

Good for you Dan :thumbup:

I'm in the same position as the neighbour, in that my place joins common land that has trees on. In fact my place has two whitebams, one lime, one field maple, one sycamore, one oak, one hawthorn and two horse chestnuts growing within twenty feet. None mature trees but all of a good size. ai love that and can't see a problem.

Looks a nice tree and have to admit I mistakenly thought you said it was 15' tall.

Still don't think I'd want it 15' from my wall but I assume you mean there is a 15' gap between the canopy and his wall as it must be touching it otherwise.

Good luck either way. :thumbup1:

Hi, Mrs eggs here,

You would be right, parish council are at best consulted here, if they are statutory consultees, as they are in any planning decision, and consulted only. (being asked for comment, for which they should canvas local opinion on and vote in a formal meeting to support or not support). I'm not sure if they would be statutory consultees in a tree decision, but they don't in any case have the final decision.

I am a (learning) parish councillor for my sins.

i've just recieved a copy of the tree inspection report. what do you make of this?

Tree No

Species

Height

(mtrs)

Spread

(mtrs)

Age class

Horse chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum)

N -5 E – 5

S - 5 W -5

S/M

Condition

Recommendations

Work priority

Site – Located on a green space outside a pub. A footpath and road are 4m to the west and a neighbouring wall and garages are 5m to the east. 2 benches are also situated underneath the tree 1.5m from the main stem.

Roots – No signs of damage or causes of damage.

Stem – Divides into multiple stems at 1.5m. Included bark within most of these stems/unions. Wound with dead interior at union on west side of stem.

Inner crown – Bad structural form, will become a problem in the future as tree grows. This tree will outgrow its location and will cause the parish council many future problems as well as being a hazard due to its structure.

Outer crown – Minor deadwood within crown, leaf minor present on leaves that are still on the tree.

- No action required

- No action required

- Fell and replant with a more suitable specimen.

- No action required

- No action required

- No action required

- 12 Months

- No action required

Inspection frequency – Every 12 months to check newly planted tree

Hi, Mrs eggs here,

You would be right, parish council are at best consulted here, if they are statutory consultees, as they are in any planning decision, and consulted only. (being asked for comment, for which they should canvas local opinion on and vote in a formal meeting to support or not support). I'm not sure if they would be statutory consultees in a tree decision, but they don't in any case have the final decision.

I am a (learning) parish councillor for my sins.

Hello Mrs Eggs,

Thanks for this. So am I right to think that the parish council,should be asked for their views but are not in a position to give permission to fell the tree?

Uhmm ,I've put in recommendations to fell over included unions and still had them turned down with recommended specs for remedial work instead but that's been on already TPOed trees , really we need to see pics of the unions ,wounds and die back but unless it's already TPOed the out come does not look good.