Parish council agree to fell tree - how to stop?

Two Acres

Hi all,

My local parish council have agreed to a request from a local resident to fell a horse chestnut tree that is growing close to his property. Its on land that is either common land or is owned by the parish, I'm unsure which. I only found out today from a friend that apparently the parish council have condusted a 'consultation' agreed to fell the tree and are planning to replace it with another tree. Its a lovely tree, around 25 feet tall. Many other villagers are now angered by this and we are wondering the best way to go about protecting it. Its in good health and is about fifteen feet from the residents house. It does beed pruning as it has telephone lines running theou its canopy. I believe the tree is in a conservation area. Any advice? Many thanks?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

My local parish council have agreed to a request from a local resident to fell a horse chestnut tree that is growing close to his property. Its on land that is either common land or is owned by the parish, I'm unsure which. I only found out today from a friend that apparently the parish council have condusted a 'consultation' agreed to fell the tree and are planning to replace it with another tree. Its a lovely tree, around 25 feet tall. Many other villagers are now angered by this and we are wondering the best way to go about protecting it. Its in good health and is about fifteen feet from the residents house. It does beed pruning as it has telephone lines running theou its canopy. I believe the tree is in a conservation area. Any advice? Many thanks?

Um - how about mind your own business? :001_smile: After all , if you felt that strongly about it you should have attended the parish council meeting & made your feelings known.

Um - how about mind your own business? :001_smile: After all , if you felt that strongly about it you should have attended the parish council meeting & made your feelings known.

Thats an interesting point and had I known this was on the aganda I certainly would have done. It seems to have been presented to the village as a done deal, with no prior warning. There will definitely be a full room at the next parish council meeting in early sept, thats for sure :biggrin:

Hi all,

Contact your County council planning department / tree officer and express your concern. It may be possible to initiate a TPO if the tree warrants it.

I wouldn't want one 15' from my house tbh.

Its a lovely tree that the majority of our community are very fond of. Our kids collect conkers from underneath it. Its on the green in front of the village pub. Lots of folks enjoy sitting in its shade enjoying a pint. Its been there for many years and isn't causing any problem that I'm are of. No reason at all to fell IMHO. I also thought that trees in conservation areas enjoy the same protetcion as those with TPO's ? It seems to me the parish council don't have the legal authority to approve the request to fell?

Contact your County council planning department / tree officer and express your concern. It may be possible to initiate a TPO if the tree warrants it.

Thanks Kevin,

Am I right to think that trees inconservation areas enjpy legal protection without individual TPO's ?

Close, but not quite. A tree owner should 'notify' the local authority of their intention to conduct certain works to trees in a conservation area. It's often the same form used for a TPO works 'application' for ease of presentation of the necessary information.

The local authority will consider the nature, extent and reason for proposed works to trees in CA. If they don't object, they may issue an acknowledgement or simply leave it to run past it's time limit for a reply to the person making the notification. If the LA objects or wishes to exert authority over how or to what extent the works should be, they may issue a TPO which would mean the tree owner would have to seek, and gain, consent for all but exempted work.

Close, but not quite. A tree owner should 'notify' the local authority of their intention to conduct certain works to trees in a conservation area. It's often the same form used for a TPO works 'application' for ease of presentation of the necessary information.

The local authority will consider the nature, extent and reason for proposed works to trees in CA. If they don't object, they may issue an acknowledgement or simply leave it to run past it's time limit for a reply to the person making the notification. If the LA objects or wishes to exert authority over how or to what extent the works should be, they may issue a TPO which would mean the tree owner would have to seek, and gain, consent for all but exempted work.

Thanks again Kevin,

So, in theory the owner of the tree should notify the LA. In this case that would be interesting as I'm not sure who,the legal owner would be when its common land, or a village green? Am I right in assuming that the parish council doesn't have the legal right to simply 'approve' the felling?