Parish council agree to fell tree - how to stop?

Two Acres

Even if he is a qualified to make the report you can check what the options and the consequences of each option are. Just because the tree has a weakness (and lets be honest irrespective of how qualified the individual is it depends on how you ask the question - 1) Are there any possible reasons to justify chopping this tree down? 2) Despite this tree having a weakness what are the real risks of doing nothing and if that's not possible what are the options that would allow us to retain the maximum amenity value from the tree?) doesn't mean it needs to be felled , perhaps a reduction would suffice?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if he is a qualified to make the report you can check what the options and the consequences of each option are. Just because the tree has a weakness (and lets be honest irrespective of how qualified the individual is it depends on how you ask the question - 1) Are there any possible reasons to justify chopping this tree down? 2) Despite this tree having a weakness what are the real risks of doing nothing and if that's not possible what are the options that would allow us to retain the maximum amenity value from the tree?) doesn't mean it needs to be felled , perhaps a reduction would suffice?

Thank you Logrod - I completely agree :thumbup:

First post was that a neighbouring resident requested tree to be cut down, now there seems to be a report, presumably commissioned by PC, saying best course is to fell tree and replant. Where did the neighbour bit come from, am I wrong and he/she commissioned report?

It is a nice tree but it is located in an area where people sit, children play etc so if it is past its best then seems sensible enough to simply fell and replant. I may be wrong but there appears to be some hysteria building amongst the "community" without actually knowing all the facts.. Which neither do I and I'm posting here!

But the community won't be happy at paying 5 or 6 hundred quid if all 3 say the same will they? Are they all incompetent / bent etc etc.

Well thats an interesting point Ian...I expect that may well be a possibility. I can’t speak for others but personally I've spent a lot of my career in academic institutions and thats taught me the value of conducting thourgh research. Its something I constantly impress on my students. Of course your research may well not affirm your preconcieved notion....

First post was that a neighbouring resident requested tree to be cut down, now there seems to be a report, presumably commissioned by PC, saying best course is to fell tree and replant. Where did the neighbour bit come from, am I wrong and he/she commissioned report?

It is a nice tree but it is located in an area where people sit, children play etc so if it is past its best then seems sensible enough to simply fell and replant. I may be wrong but there appears to be some hysteria building amongst the "community" without actually knowing all the facts.. Which neither do I and I'm posting here!

I've only recieved the news today Wood wasp and I'm only just gathering together the information. My understanding, and I have this secondhand, is that the neighbour has requested that the tree be felled (I don't know why) and that the PC has, subsequent to this, commisioned a tree report. They have then authorised the felling of the tree. This appears to be he first that anyone has heard of the situation so people are feeling, understandably, annoyed. There is a PC meeting in a week or so, it will be very well attended I feel. It may prove that the tree does need to be felled...we will see. To my mind its important that that decision is reached collectively and through due process with regard to the legality of any course of action.

At the moment thre does appear to be a groundswell of opinion amongst our village 'community' that the tree should be preserved. Of course there is always the danger that emotions run high, somethng that I personally will always try to avoid, hence my enquiries.