Parish council agree to fell tree - how to stop?

Two Acres

Thanks

Think it's worth saying that the image shows the leaf mines from Cameraria ohridella (the chestnut leaf miner) not the fungal leaf blotch of Guignardia aesculi.

I can't argue with you on this, pests and diseases isn't my forte 001_smile:

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks

Think it's worth saying that the image shows the leaf mines from Cameraria ohridella (the chestnut leaf miner) not the fungal leaf blotch of Guignardia aesculi.

Yes it is worth saying, thank you David.

Am I correct to assume that Cameraria ohridella doesn't unduly affect the health of the tree?

Wrong - it does.

Depletes energy reserves year-on-year, like any defoliating insect would do. It will not usually kill the tree outright (if at all?), but it will facilitate secondary infection (or be part of a cumulative and continued infection that leads to death via 'starvation', when compiled with leaf blotch, bacterial canker, etc).

Wrong - it does.

Depletes energy reserves year-on-year, like any defoliating insect would do. It will not usually kill the tree outright (if at all?), but it will facilitate secondary infection (or be part of a cumulative and continued infection that leads to death via 'starvation', when compiled with leaf blotch, bacterial canker, etc).

Thanks you Kveldssanger - I see

I forgot to mention that at the parish council meeting we learned that the tree surgeon who surveyed the tree has given it a projected 10 year lifespan if its 'pruned'. The chair of the PC told the meeting, then said that would mean a raise to the parish precept, then seemed to assume that no one would want to pay and moved on before anyone had a chance to have a say, hey-ho.

I've taken some pictures of the tree today. here you go:

Horse_Chestnut_016.jpg.682594638b4ad84d91beb6c32b9ffb6f.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_014.jpg.79bec1970c25446b98cda349695cc940.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_013.jpg.7119e10221b0505b8d94d73198d0cfa3.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_012.jpg.d0049ebb1fef5802331e961f752c9132.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_011.jpg.36217d32135f69342ea2e828c20ad348.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_009.jpg.a5e934d00b7f61ffe484235b2cd38356.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_008.jpg.99427adb4b7002939d2d6908a8c893a9.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_007.jpg.a1790a2859d3c92bf6ec95401cd61e42.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_005.jpg.4daaadfce699e6bfac8a2627202374da.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_004.jpg.9e5926eee00445ed6591e4f60d2a9d05.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_006.jpg.b9ecb526ae18d1213d8c9b6548f1a9bf.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_010.jpg.758c95554a10e8879253aca2489fdcfe.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_015.jpg.5ff027a870daef19b3290bec45f643a9.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_003.jpg.7a14dccd502e250ffa693033e24cea2c.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_018.jpg.edc122bb2973f4c0d6ed3316a129738a.jpg

Horse_Chestnut_001.jpg.11c810ca419410607ab645df6fdefae5.jpg

I forgot to mention that at the parish council meeting we learned that the tree surgeon who surveyed the tree has given it a projected 10 year lifespan if its 'pruned'. The chair of the PC told the meeting, then said that would mean a raise to the parish precept, then seemed to assume that no one would want to pay and moved on before anyone had a chance to have a say, hey-ho.

I've taken some pictures of the tree today. here you go:

2 parts of that post have a distinct wiff of BS (and a faint odour of desperation!)

10 year life & a raise in precept.

Have you seen this before:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCMS024.pdf/$FILE/FCMS024.pdf

A good read in its own right but could also inform your argument and put the PC in a position that would need authoritative and informed decision making rather than what appears to be a brown envelope job 👍🏻

(Not saying it IS a brown envelope job.... Just that it "could" be interpreted that way. It might just be straight forward lack of appreciation or appropriate skills / knowledge on the part of the PC)

Gripping saga either way!!!

2 parts of that post have a distinct wiff of BS (and a faint odour of desperation!)

10 year life & a raise in precept.

Have you seen this before:

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/FCMS024.pdf/$FILE/FCMS024.pdf

A good read in its own right but could also inform your argument and put the PC in a position that would need authoritative and informed decision making rather than what appears to be a brown envelope job 👍🏻

(Not saying it IS a brown envelope job.... Just that it "could" be interpreted that way. It might just be straight forward lack of appreciation or appropriate skills / knowledge on the part of the PC)

Gripping saga either way!!!

Many thanks for this Kevin :thumbup: I haven't seen it before but I will be reading it and forwarding it to the PC.

A good dose of common sense is exactly whats required IMHO. It seems to me that the PC have a complete lack of interest in the trees in the village. To me thats suprising and disapointing. The William Blake quote that David Humphries uses as the footer to his posts on Arbtalk comes to mind - except that the PC don't even seem to see the tree even as a 'green thing that stands in the way'. In fact I think they are totally indifferent to it; why else have it as the last item on the agenda and give no time to discussing it? What I would very much like to see is a PC that conducts appropriate research, enables informed discussions, listens to all interested parties, and takes appropriate considered decisions. Much of the meeting the other night was taken up discussing how ineffectual PC's in Breckland are in general and how impotent ours is in particular. Apparently they make decisions that are routinely overturned further up the local government ladder. Mostly they seem concerned with their inability to affect the planning process and they wonder why 'big business' can always get its way (that'll be the brown envelopes, doh). By their own admission they are not an effective body. The meeting was like a Monty Python sketch. It was farcical. They didn't know they needed to consult with the tree officer before they can fell the tree. In fact they didn't know that Breckland has a tree officer. Two memebers of the public, myself included, pointed that out and they duly made a note of it. So we have two layers of local government taht either don't know of each others existence or won't talk to each other (I had a response from the tree officer ot my email to say that he noted my concerns but wouldn't do anything until the PC put in a 511 notice, I think its a 511 from memory?) Unbelieveable. If I ran my business like that I wouldn't have a business.

• 4 weeks later...