Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"more haste, less speed"

One of my all time favourite sayings, along with 'If it aint broken, dont fix it'

My 'lad' (he's 22 now) I have on site is my brothers boy, he can't wait to get to work in the morning and pushes everyone along on site all day long, wants to earn as much as possible, open to learning new skills and brings ideas to the table. Cleans up the site to the better than when we found it standard I expect.

However he's on £100 a day.

You get what to you pay for, respect those around you who work for you, or with you, as they will earn you more money, take them for granted and they will slacken, loose interest and loose you money.

Pay peanuts expect monkeys - there's another saying.

:thumbup:

sod the workers get a loader with a bmg,I never have to whinge about the worker not running to/from the chipper. Seriously.Forget about trying to employ 18 year olds .Stick to older workers 40 plus.they seem to be more grounded

answer to the original question.Yes but not if your smart.

Wipe out every arborist between the ages of 18-39? Wow, thank goodness not every boss is as narrow minded as you!

Rubbish post :thumbdown:

(Post that kind of drivvle on a public forum and expect a negative response from the people you've bad mouthed). I'm 24, so I must be useless...

Wipe out every arborist between the ages of 18-39? Wow, thank goodness not every boss is as narrow minded as you!

Rubbish post :thumbdown:

(Post that kind of drivvle on a public forum and expect a negative response from the people you've bad mouthed). I'm 24, so I must be useless...

some people have a real problem working with nippers often caused by repeated bad experience. But on the whole I dont think people on here are that narrow minded. We have a lot of banter on site its because we are jealous you have a thick head of hair, dont put on a stone when you eat a bucket of chicken and need a ten minute nap at 3 in the afternoon :biggrin:

I guess the "old timers" have nothing to prove, after all they're still out there grafting, while the young uns are catching their breath from running around all day. If jobs are priced right, there is no need to run about, just crack on and get it done. I can't stand people slouching about either, dragging their feet, looking lethargic, it gives a bad impression to everyone else, clients etc. but there is no need at all to run back from the chipper. Or even gently jog. But he who pays the piper calls the tune, it's up to each boss to get what he wants from his staff, and whether he uses a carrot or stick to get what he wants determines his worth as a boss.

maybe the OP has made a comment and pride wont let him back down? I havnt read the whole thread but it seems to me quite unlikely,i.e a large back garden dismantle,how many armfuls of brush? then the timber,a jog on every trip.id be amazed and even further still if it was every day of the week.ive been in this industry a long time and the only blokes ive come across who honestly expect that are the ranters (im sure you all have met at some point or another) big mouth ,big attitude and don't actually get any true respect from anyone who comes into contact with them.

NAIL ON HEAD.:thumbup:

maybe the OP has made a comment and pride wont let him back down? I havnt read the whole thread but it seems to me quite unlikely,i.e a large back garden dismantle,how many armfuls of brush? then the timber,a jog on every trip.id be amazed and even further still if it was every day of the week.ive been in this industry a long time and the only blokes ive come across who honestly expect that are the ranters (im sure you all have met at some point or another) big mouth ,big attitude and don't actually get any true respect from anyone who comes into contact with them.

:thumbup1: Spot on.

With reference to the title,

Everyone's view of hard work is different.

Arb work is PHYSICAL - it's up to you if you want to make it HARD.

Seems like you do, sorry but you give the impression of being a macho merchant.