Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

i can't believe this whole thread turned into a shall i jog or not thread... i think its fair to expect hard work from your employees/subs, after all you're the one paying the wages. As an extra point whenever i see our local bin collection lorry the lads on the ground are always running ahead of the lorry..

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to know an Irish contractor who used to dig up roads in the North East. He would sack anyone wearing a warm coat as they were not working hard enough! Men had to run with wheelbarrows etc.

He had men queuing up to work for him! Why? He paid top Dollar!

A job would cost for example £10 000. He would take £1500 for himself, £2500 for fuel tools etc, £1000 back into the company for the future and £5000 for wages. If the job took one day the £5k was paid out for a days work for the team, but if it took ten days there was no extra cash for wages, the crew knew this and earned a fortune for navvies.

As a result of this he had an excellent reputation for getting work done quickly and got more work for it. He always said the hardest thing was turning down so many applicants for jobs.

Mind you Health and safety would probably have shut him down, even though I never heard of a serious accident on one of his jobs.

Calling all groundies on here...

How much would you want to be paid to jog back from the chipper and always look as if you are working flat out?

Calling all owners/managers... (well, those who believe it matters)

How much would you pay someone to jog back from the chipper and always look as if they are working flat out?

If the two numbers tally - DO IT

As long as everyone's happy

surely your having a laugh......

work hard yes. work safe yes. i hope i work hard on the ground when needed, im sure i would have been told by now if i didnt.

maybe not employing 50 yr olds to drag brash is your answer.

as for running, yeah jog on mate.

if any employer told me to run on site unless there was a fire they would get something big thrown at them, or there rope would be tied up at the base of the tree and i would be waving at them as i walked away.

so all that said if you now put up in the employment forum that you are in need of a groundie do you think you will get any replies??????

sounds like bad business planning and not to mention the liability you would have if anyone fell and broke there face.

you actually sound lazy as you want all the brash cleared up before you come down so you dont have to do any work?????

Andy, I wasn't trying to refer to old timers in general, just one in particular.

Your post makes complete sense though, I try to set an example to those I am responsible for, in terms of productivity and efficiency. We hustle when needed, but don't make life harder than it has to be.

Wtf, The only time I see people running site is when something's gone wrong..

Very true,pay peanut get monkeys!!

Any respectable groundsmen I employ work hard without asking, tidy ropes without asking, fill saws without asking!!

Pass up my bottle of juice without asking!!

If you are running your pricing is obviously wrong and you need to allow more time and or another bloke on site!

Our work is dangerous enough without running?!

Very true,pay peanut get monkeys!!

Any respectable groundsmen I employ work hard without asking, tidy ropes without asking, fill saws without asking!!

Pass up my bottle of juice without asking!!

If you are running your pricing is obviously wrong and you need to allow more time and or another bloke on site!

Our work is dangerous enough without running?!

yep,running on site is bad but it does happen.....:001_rolleyes::biggrin:

there is a huge age gap in the industry between competent staff and new graduates,being around 40 I have yet to see anyone younger work as hard as i do on the ground,i keep my climber moveing and attended to .its a tough job and by the time i get home its a 14hr day,.i check my phone when i need to but leave it in the wagon.just get busted anyhows...:biggrin::blushing::blushing:

what is needed on site is a strong consistent groundie that is calm and precise,.....i have alot to learn even after 20yrs as my climber is a hard task master forsure..:thumbup1:

.....the git has a class 1 licence so is pretty harsh when i bump the roundabouts with the transit.....:blushing::blushing::blushing: :blushing::lol:

Edited by Hedge hunter

I feel a new ticket coming on.....cs 69, running back safely from depositing brash.

Horatio, could we maybe slow things down a bit to a brisk walk.....:laugh1:

Only on the first 3 days of the course, would have to run the last 2 and on the assessment day. :P