Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys I feel I need to clarify the whole thread.

I lot of you guy seem to be jumping on the whole running thing and how I expect all groundys to run everywhere. That is NOT want I have said.

Ok here goes let see how many comments can be taken out of context and the abuse start again on this friendly forum.

Right, I do not expect my groundys with tickets to run about everywhere. I do not expect them to run ever.

As for the boys from college boys who come and help out on their days off yeah I do expect them to get back from the chipper quickly, yeah jogging.

They have no tickets so that means no chainsaw work!

So their job is to feed the chipper, fill up saws and that it til rake time.

I use the boys on three or four men days, there is plenty of time for them to look about and see what's going on. But when it's all going on pieces being rigged down by one guy being logged and cut up by another (all have their tickets) I and the ticketed groundys want the brash chipped and out of the way quickly so the drop and working zone is kept safe and clean.

Now pretty much all my work is private work and the gardens here are not littered with land mines deep pits or any other death hazards. They are 99% grass and paths. Jogging back surely can't be that dangerous?

The personal comments made about me are totally unfair none of you lot know me.

I work very hard I am up early every day get everything load up before the lads get, nothing new sure a lot of you guys this. As soon as I have finished climbing I lead by example and do whatever needs doing dragging branches, raking up really whatever. No matter how knocked I am I always jog back from the chipper, instilled from my previous boss. He took me green straight from college and I was grateful of the job opportunity and did things the way he wanted them done. Once back at the yard the guys all go home I unload the van of tools, tip off and shapen up etc

Oh, and all this and I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week weight lifting.

If you are a Groundy with rigging experience and good on a saw then your safe from the whole jogging thing. However if your fresh meat with no tickets then yeah a jog would get you a lot more work from me and better pay than they would get if they didn't.

Simple as that.

They are not threatened to be burnt at the stake or sent home at lunch for not running, but hell they would be thought a lot better of by the whole team if they did.

Like I originally said there are groundys and there are groundys.

I will get an arbor trolley, but I am sure there will be some narrow access jobs or ones with steps where dragging will be the only way, and jogging back will be expected from the "boy"

Let the abuse begin

still sounds like you want the "boy" to run his ass off while other stand around.

sorry but damage done, no wounder young lads dont want to work for you, i wouldnt if i was starting out.

you may do all that in the morn and eve, thats your choice.

if a job gets done with no injuries and no damage does it matter if anyone jogs about? i wouldnt give anyone who does it any respect, i would more than likely take the mick thinking they are a brown nose or want to get up your backside for some reason.

plus extra brash on the deck just means a soft landing for timber.

still sounds like you want the "boy" to run his ass off while other stand around.

sorry but damage done, no wounder young lads dont want to work for you, i wouldnt if i was starting out.

you may do all that in the morn and eve, thats your choice.

if a job gets done with no injuries and no damage does it matter if anyone jogs about? i wouldnt give anyone who does it any respect, i would more than likely take the mick thinking they are a brown nose or want to get up your backside for some reason.

plus extra brash on the deck just means a soft landing for timber.

Not if it's being rigged

Ok guys I feel I need to clarify the whole thread.

I lot of you guy seem to be jumping on the whole running thing and how I expect all groundys to run everywhere. That is NOT want I have said.

Ok here goes let see how many comments can be taken out of context and the abuse start again on this friendly forum.

Right, I do not expect my groundys with tickets to run about everywhere. I do not expect them to run ever.

As for the boys from college boys who come and help out on their days off yeah I do expect them to get back from the chipper quickly, yeah jogging.

They have no tickets so that means no chainsaw work!

So their job is to feed the chipper, fill up saws and that it til rake time.

I use the boys on three or four men days, there is plenty of time for them to look about and see what's going on. But when it's all going on pieces being rigged down by one guy being logged and cut up by another (all have their tickets) I and the ticketed groundys want the brash chipped and out of the way quickly so the drop and working zone is kept safe and clean.

Now pretty much all my work is private work and the gardens here are not littered with land mines deep pits or any other death hazards. They are 99% grass and paths. Jogging back surely can't be that dangerous?

The personal comments made about me are totally unfair none of you lot know me.

I work very hard I am up early every day get everything load up before the lads get, nothing new sure a lot of you guys this. As soon as I have finished climbing I lead by example and do whatever needs doing dragging branches, raking up really whatever. No matter how knocked I am I always jog back from the chipper, instilled from my previous boss. He took me green straight from college and I was grateful of the job opportunity and did things the way he wanted them done. Once back at the yard the guys all go home I unload the van of tools, tip off and shapen up etc

Oh, and all this and I go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week weight lifting.

If you are a Groundy with rigging experience and good on a saw then your safe from the whole jogging thing. However if your fresh meat with no tickets then yeah a jog would get you a lot more work from me and better pay than they would get if they didn't.

Simple as that.

They are not threatened to be burnt at the stake or sent home at lunch for not running, but hell they would be thought a lot better of by the whole team if they did.

Like I originally said there are groundys and there are groundys.

I will get an arbor trolley, but I am sure there will be some narrow access jobs or ones with steps where dragging will be the only way, and jogging back will be expected from the "boy"

Let the abuse begin

Were you bullied at school? It seems to me that you treat the new guy like crap to make yourself feel 'big' but don't try it on with the more experienced workers because you know they wouldn't accept it.

I can understand his view on wanting a new unskilled lad with a potential job on the line to show enthusiasm.

Too often we all try out lads for the day and by about 10am you know they have no future with you.

The team I work with consists of four. Two of us climb, but we all pitch in and share the work. Whatever it takes to be efficient.

We don't have set roles, and given enough time, we like to give new lads opportunities, like felling a stem (under supervision).

[/b]

Not if it's being rigged

always. and a good groundie will ensure it.

if the rigging fails you will have a big mess to clear up, if he jogs back from the chipper quick enough:001_rolleyes:

p.s i was bullied at school and i have no time for anyone who will try and belittle the new guy, i stopped getting bullied when i got to 6ft2 and brick poo house size.

and you would get one hell of an earfull for doing it if i was on site, no job is worth that.

always. and a good groundie will ensure it.

if the rigging fails you will have a big mess to clear up, if he jogs back from the chipper quick enough:001_rolleyes:

p.s i was bullied at school and i have no time for anyone who will try and belittle the new guy, i stopped getting bullied when i got to 6ft2 and brick poo house size.

and you would get one hell of an earfull for doing it if i was on site, no job is worth that.

I'm lost I don't understand anything you have written?

Not bullied at school, not likely to be either now either spare with Royce Gracie when he is in the uk. Google him.

Asking the boy to jog back is bot belittling him. It's asking him work hard.

I'm not asking you run, they have a choice with no gun to their head.

No wonder this county is going to pot. All the uk guys saying I am not doing that. Oh maybe I will if you pay more.

At least you will be popular with the polish.