Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

I must admit running is a bit excessive but I get the point that's being made, iv been with my gaffa for 11-12 years now, I was fresh meat from the job centre but what's kept me in a job is when he says work I say how hard! And now he's on holiday while I run things (can't be bad eh?) and I didn't sit around to get that respect.

The fact is that 90% of fresh lads can't grit their teeth and get on with it they all want the money but don't want to work, iv seen lads come on site and walk back off by lunch!

there are good, hard working lads out there but they are getting harder and harder to find

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want a job? :thumbup:

I have just sort of semi retired but still working hard and still up in the trees on occasions, but I do still really enjoy the thrash when working on the ground, never been one to stand around, we have two arms and hands and I am also very ambidextrous, can pick my nose if need be while feeding a chipper :001_smile: biggest other problem nobody picks up lump wood or big rings anymore , thats how most jobs run over on the lifting and shifting at the end, and I wont even go onto racking, most people think the rake handles too hot to hold. FNARKMEKCIMOKING get a hold of it and rake like a MAD MAN, THATS THE WAY TO DO IT. :thumbup:

I agree with ant, running in my opinion is a bit much but that's because of how I was taught. Having said that I'd like to think that if I went back to when I started fresh and I was told to run back from the chipper I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

I think you're right that there are fewer youngsters out there with the right mindset but they are out there. I'm pretty young myself (26) and only got my first apprentice in April this year, first impression - cocky s#%t. No experience and tells me one day while I'm thinning a maple to stop as he thinks it's thin enough, he was out of college the month before!! Told him if I wanted any lip from him if undo my zipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

IF the Gaffer wants you to run,then do it or find another job.

Its not up to you to set the tempo of the job.Running,down a drive or about a Garden is not the Royal Marine Assault course and all this talk of "Rolling Ankles" is merely a display of the Pathetic self possessed entitled attitude that sadly prevails in Society today.

I can see what horatio is saying. But my method to get groundmans working hard is price work! E.g this Saturday just gone I told my groundie there £80 in the job for you in the first job. Then if we can the second one done there a extra £40. We was done by 3 ish. He never stop working hard all day. He earn good money and so did I!

Dead right there. Installs a sense of teamwork and need to complete the job for the mutual benefit of both parties.

If you're carrying enough stuff to the chipper then the walk back is your few seconds to catch your breath before hitting the next branches. We work long days in this industry, it's all about working smart, which includes looking after your body whether you're 18 or 80.

Fatigue is the biggest cause of accidents, running on site is not smart, it only takes one occasion to forget to look up and bang you have a serious accident on your hands.

If you're carrying enough stuff to the chipper then the walk back is your few seconds to catch your breath before hitting the next branches. We work long days in this industry, it's all about working smart, which includes looking after your body whether you're 18 or 80.

Fatigue is the biggest cause of accidents, running on site is not smart, it only takes one occasion to forget to look up and bang you have a serious accident on your hands.

Arbor Trolley :rolleyes:

Arboricultural Association Approved Contractor