Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

Read quite a few of the posts and thought I'd get my views out there, as far as I'm concerned its all team work! It's a hard job and sometimes pretty s**t. I'm a lead climber for our firm and my duties are climbing, cross cutting, lifting logs,driving, chipping, raking and using the blower. The groundies with saw tickets is all the above except climbing and our labourers are all the above except climbing and chainsaw work, once u finish 1 job you move onto the next one that needs done until the jobs finished! Their are guys who don't pull their weight but if work drys up their the first ones binned!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes treequip you are right i could go hard, cock it up and go home in a body bag but i was blessed with two ears, two eyes and a brain! Use all these to good effect and no cock ups and no body bag!

Quite right too, and there are plenty of people who thought the same and still got hurt

Wipe out every arborist between the ages of 18-39? Wow, thank goodness not every boss is as narrow minded as you!

Rubbish post :thumbdown:

(Post that kind of drivvle on a public forum and expect a negative response from the people you've bad mouthed). I'm 24, so I must be useless...

This is about groundies not arborists

i would'nt expect anyone to run on any of my sites.Most sites here have room to run a loader so my groundy (who's in his forties and doesnt have to be told what to do and gets paid very well ) generally does'nt have to drag much brash .

i have employed a fair few young blokes as groundies and generally found them to be un interested in the job at hand,no get up and go, piss poor at time keeping and only on site for the money.Older people work better over here. They seem to be able to handle the heat (40 degrees plus now) and hard conditions better than the young guys of today(in my experience):thumbup:

I was trained by some of the best and they were hard basteds to work for and there belief was you never run in the tree game. So if thats you way of running a firm then you will never find good men and the ones you do will jack with in the first 10 mins. I run a solid two gangs that bleed for me because i give them the respect they deserve. They carry the maximum they can and at a pace that is safe. Running only cases accidents and that is not good in this game...

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

I must admit running is a bit excessive but I get the point that's being made, iv been with my gaffa for 11-12 years now, I was fresh meat from the job centre but what's kept me in a job is when he says work I say how hard! And now he's on holiday while I run things (can't be bad eh?) and I didn't sit around to get that respect.

The fact is that 90% of fresh lads can't grit their teeth and get on with it they all want the money but don't want to work, iv seen lads come on site and walk back off by lunch!

there are good, hard working lads out there but they are getting harder and harder to find

Good post

Bloody hell, why is everyone going mad at Horatio?

There is nothing wrong with a man wanting his employees to earn their money!

I think if you replaced the word 'Running' with 'a bit of effort' it may have come across better though mate.

Either way, I am fed up working with slackers, and it isn't just the young.

Bloody hell, why is everyone going mad at Horatio?

There is nothing wrong with a man wanting his employees to earn their money!

I think if you replaced the word 'Running' with 'a bit of effort' it may have come across better though mate.

Either way, I am fed up working with slackers, and it isn't just the young.

I run a arb company with my dad who is 62 and grafts all week and many weekends I dread the day he packs in as I know im never going to be able to fully replace him, you just cant find the workers these days!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2