Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

I yell at them Dave until they won't get out of the truck in fear of doing some thing wrong ... So then you have to tie a rope around there legs and put the back on full tip dragging them out of the truck until they are dangling in the air upside down ... Then we poke them with sticks until they submit.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I yell at them Dave until they won't get out of the truck in fear of doing some thing wrong ... So then you have to tie a rope around there legs and put the back on full tip dragging them out of the truck until they are dangling in the air upside down ... Then we poke them with sticks until they submit.

At least you don't tell them to run. :001_tt2::lol:

Like many others on this thread, I've been observing people far closer lately. 2 landscapers have been on my site today, not in my employ, but I'm responsible overall for the site on behalf of my client, in particular to "keep an eye" on other trades. These two guys were the epitome of laziness. Mooching about, poking in and out of outhouses, doing just about everything other than what they're employed to do. I went and had a quiet word with the charge hand, pointing out that they are actually paid to some work while they're there. He replied that it IS Friday, and no one expects anything to be started on a Friday!! I have a sneaky feeling there may be some different landscapers there on Monday. Age wise, these guys were mid-30, and early 20s. So no ageism from me. I'm nearly 50, have been cutting, splitting and stacking logs for two days, probably have more strength and stamina than both of those put together. And I don't have strength or stamina these days!!

This is my point, there is NO boy. They're are all work shy dossers.

Jogging back from the chipper aside, they don't get that two hands means more than one branch etc.

They live with their parents rent free and don't really need to work. Social will sort them out.

Now I am not stereo typing and I am 100% sure that there are loads of you teens wanting to work hard! I am just yet to find one? I'm not looking for them I get approached from the local college.

Run of bad luck with them, had enough and posted this thread.

Never have I moaned. Bout an individual.

Please get you facts right before you make your multiple posts without read what I have put. Cheers

I can feel myself unwittingly getting drawn in to this soap opera. I made multiple posts because I thought my first comment could have been misconstrued, I was expressing agreement with the post from Tarzan, but realised after reading it that, in my haste, I hadn't perhaps been as clear as I'd intended. Hence the 2nd post to clarify. Then, chuckling, thought a pinch of humour might lighten the mood, hence the 3rd post. No subliminal message intended.

Congratulations ARE due for an epic thread however! I salute you for generating such enthusiastic debate.

I am however at a loss as to why the problem is apparently of such gigantean proportion for you. If I could be so bold as to suggest, if you can't find the staff you seek 'out of the box', have you considered some mentoring, leadership & management techniques to 'grow' the staff you seek?

Either way, it's of no more than passing interest to me, I only work with people I trust, respect and support.

I feel the complete opposite to this at the moment. Do guys feel that they have to carry their boss. The guy I'm working for is getting lazier and lazier. To the point where I feel we are taking a whole day to do jobs that should be taking a few hours. I end up doing nearly all the work while he is on his phone every 5 mins and I'm waiting around for the next task while he is still sat in the truck texting. It's really grating on me and wish I had more work to get away from it.

Sent using

This is my point, there is NO boy. They're are all work shy dossers.

Jogging back from the chipper aside, they don't get that two hands means more than one branch etc.

They live with their parents rent free and don't really need to work. Social will sort them out.

Now I am not stereo typing and I am 100% sure that there are loads of you teens wanting to work hard! I am just yet to find one? I'm not looking for them I get approached from the local college.

Run of bad luck with them, had enough and posted this thread.

Never have I moaned. Bout an individual.

Please get you facts right before you make your multiple posts without read what I have put. Cheers

I've seen plenty of lazy youngsters in different lines of work but as has been said its not just youngsters, seems to depend how you were bought up rather than in what era, I know some youngsters now who will put in some serious graft off thier own bats and by the same token I know plenty of older lads who are keen to work til they try it, trouble is you don't know which way they are without trying them :001_cool:

I feel the complete opposite to this at the moment. Do guys feel that they have to carry their boss. The guy I'm working for is getting lazier and lazier. To the point where I feel we are taking a whole day to do jobs that should be taking a few hours. I end up doing nearly all the work while he is on his phone every 5 mins and I'm waiting around for the next task while he is still sat in the truck texting. It's really grating on me and wish I had more work to get away from it.

Sent using

This sounds all too familiar, I'm in exactly the same situation but my mind is split into two.

One half of me thinks that he's part of the team and should be pulling the same as everyone else

On the other hand he's the boss, he's earnt the right to do his own thing and point the finger, god knows how many blokes are out there that would jump at my job.It's a tough call

Although personal lives shouldn't come into work time but something serious might be happening behind the scenes, affair, marriage breakup, illness??