Moronic Signs

Billhook

3 hours ago, AHPP said:

I’ve witnessed you being equally unkind to your own suspension.

Me too.  The lack of respect that Volvo gets is nothing short of bullying; Alec you should be ashamed  😁

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

Not necessarily. Volenti non fit injuria.

Trouble is even if the claim for injury is voided it still brings the whole  RIDDOR crap down on you.

Not being trained in traffic management I still don't know the rules for closing a sidewalk for tree work. We do still do it but stop work to let people through. The reasoning being the public are probably more at risk crossing the road twice to avoid our working.

• Like 2

A few winters ago, I was driving through a local village only to see a sign saying "Road Closed, Flooded", I said to Er Indoors..."Bollocks, it can't be that bad"! I ripped along for half a mile and......Forking hell....it was a bloody lake, I thought I had hit Dover and gone off the edge, was that France over the flooding lake I had just driven the company motor in to up to the wheel arches.

Reverse doubly quick, keep the revs up, lots of steam...bugger me that was close, red face and follow diversion signs to home!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was trimming roadside hedging recently on a back road, behind a bank of cones. Road closed sign 75m up from me as they were resurfacing and it was completely shut about a mile away. Must have told at least 100 drivers that it was closed and over half of them decided to try their luck. Told you so was a pleasure to say as they trundled back up the road after their five point turns 👍

28 minutes ago, rapalaman said:

Was trimming roadside hedging recently on a back road, behind a bank of cones. Road closed sign 75m up from me as they were resurfacing and it was completely shut about a mile away. Must have told at least 100 drivers that it was closed and over half of them decided to try their luck. Told you so was a pleasure to say as they trundled back up the road after their five point turns 👍

Why a pleasure?

BUT!

I routinely ignore "Road closed" signs, since in the vast majority of cases they are NOT closed, simply a try-on to reduce the traffic, but I am always impeccably patient and polite if there is actually a real issue.

Btw, the Police bytimes are too ready to  direct HGV'S to use unsuitable narrow "C" class roads in the event of an accident on a main road, and even to my direct personal knowledge directed an old bloke who cycled to his work to take an onerous uphill long diversion around a single vehicle accident scene on a staight and bloody wide main road with wide verges.

WTF Plod could not have instructed the bloke to proceed, or simply have walked him past the scene I do not know. The car had slid off the road through a hedge so no gruesome sights to be avoided, and anyway the bloke was a hairy arsed gravedigger!

Agreed totally - often road closed signs  mean a side road or perhaps you can get through, but when I actually explained to drivers that cars were being turned around and being sent back? Yes I was being smug after all, I had tried to save them the hassle, wasted time, fuel etc

one even said on the way back that she didn’t think it applied to her as she lived locally.

i was glad to finish the job and let them get on with it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stubby said:

This is what happened to me once time .....Steve is up the tree .  There are foot path closed signs at each extreme end  .  Cones and large red and white plastic barriers . It is very obvious whats required . Steve cuts a lump and doof it hits the deck in the " kill zone " Along comes mister keep fit jogger dude . Totally ignores the foot path closed sign . Jogs on through the cones I start to shout Stop meaning Steve stop cutting . Bloke thinks I mean him , gives me the finger , vaults the plastic barrier  , jogs through the kill zone slightly avoiding the ugly lumps on the ground , goes to vault the other plastic barrier , catches it with his leading foot and fall flat on his front . Picks himself up leaving the barrier down , jogs out through the other cones and footpath closed sign . I take my hat off and throw it on the ground .

Times like that a big shot would be handy

• Like 1