Moronic Signs

Billhook

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

In fifteen years of driving (England) I’ve only ever found one road closed sign that told the truth.

Round our way 'road closed' usually means they are digging up a manhole, have put some barriers round it but don't want to rely on warning lights at night so it's much easier to close several miles of road.

It does remind me though of a few years ago when I was driving back from King's Lynn, joined the A10 and it said it was closed, follow diversion. The diversion looked to be miles out of my way so I took a back road to bypass the first couple miles and then re-joined it. Signs still said closed at the entry but the road wasn't blocked and there was a crossroads at the end so I could always go straight on instead.

'Closed' turned out to be that they had dug the whole road up right down to the hardcore for a 5 mile stretch, but there were no workers and it was a hire car so not my suspension. It certainly saved an enormous detour, but the tractor coming the other way at the far end did look a bit surprised to see me!

Alec

Edited by agg221

When i worked for the AA (the other AA) i once got a rolling roadblock from the Highways Agency so i could tow a car out of an energency refuge area. It was glorious, i looked in my mirror and there was a Shogun with all its lights going, followed by a wall of traffic. 

They were all giving me the daggers as they passed me afterwards. 😂

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

In fifteen years of driving (England) I’ve only ever found one road closed sign that told the truth.

I wish i could say the same, but more than once i've had to back my van up a few hundered yards, eating humble pie while getting the look from everyone who just saw me blast by the signs.

One time i went to rescue a mate who'd broken down. Right by a little arch bridge somewhere in Hampshire or Surrey. While hooking up the car there were workers getting set up for maintenance on the bridge. They hadn't started yet so i went and asked if there was any chance of just nipping through as it would a long way round otherwise. Got told no, closed from 10pm, not happening. I asked how to get around the closure. "Go to the end of the road, turn right and f**k off."

He was quite a bit bigger than me so i did as instructed.

Round our way 'road closed' usually means they are digging up a manhole, have put some barriers round it but don't want to rely on warning lights at night so it's much easier to close several miles of road.

It does remind me though of a few years ago when I was driving back from King's Lynn, joined the A10 and it said it was closed, follow diversion. The diversion looked to be miles out of my way so I took a back road to bypass the past couple miles and then re-joined it. Signs still said closed at the entry but the road wasn't blocked and there was a crossroads at the end so I could always go straight on instead.

'Closed' turned out to be that they had dug the whole road up right down to the hardcore for a 5 mile stretch, but there were no workers and it was a hire car so not my suspension. It certainly saved an enormous detour, but the tractor coming the other way at the far end did look a bit surprised to see me!

Alec

I’ve never had to do more than move plastic barriers or men at work signs. The only thing that defeated me was heras fencing and a six foot deep hole.
And, as often, you hide your light under a bushel. I’ve witnessed you being equally unkind to your own suspension.

11 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I’ve never had to do more than move plastic barriers or men at work signs. The only thing that defeated me was heras fencing and a six foot deep hole.
And, as often, you hide your light under a bushel. I’ve witnessed you being equally unkind to your own suspension.

The Volvo enjoys it really - makes it feel like there is a purpose to its existence.

I have been borrowing my wife's Midget more during the past year what with mainly working from home. I can't think of a way to get the same amount in to that!

Alec

I wish i could say the same, but more than once i've had to back my van up a few hundered yards, eating humble pie while getting the look from everyone who just saw me blast by the signs.

One time i went to rescue a mate who'd broken down. Right by a little arch bridge somewhere in Hampshire or Surrey. While hooking up the car there were workers getting set up for maintenance on the bridge. They hadn't started yet so i went and asked if there was any chance of just nipping through as it would a long way round otherwise. Got told no, closed from 10pm, not happening. I asked how to get around the closure. "Go to the end of the road, turn right and f**k off."

That kind of sense of entitlement irks me chronically. Very ugly displays of power, taking pleasure in excluding people from “their” site. Almost always causes me to make a point of disobeying them. At least you were grateful when you had the highways people hold back the traffic.
  • Like 1

The Volvo enjoys it really - makes it feel like there is a purpose to its existence.

I have been borrowing my wife's Midget more during the past year what with mainly working from home. I can't think of a way to get the same amount in to that!

Alec

Natty little sports car, Alaskan mill on the picnic hamper rack. Fabulous.

46 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Wise move, sometimes it's best to admit defeat.

Also , on another thread , you can read about tree workers going ballistic when Joe Public tries to ignore " foot path closed " signs  and walks / jogs through the drop zone . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1