Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, GarethM said:

Sounds like you've swallowed the huge renewable lies,

What lies?

if you want to supplement the grid with solar, wind etc that's to be encouraged but you need base load to actually allow that.

Without sufficient base load and storage your renewable energy delusions are not even possible. You need storage for atleast 24 hours not minutes, batteries are not the answer, hydro maybe but they turn wind off when it blows top hard.

If you are talking in general yes you are right, the cheapness of fossil fuels and the vested interest in producing them has meant the urgent need to deal with the external costs of them hasn't allowed the renewable energy business to develop as far as it could have from when problems became apparent 50 years ago. It is a basic human trait to live for today.

At the domestic level an individual can comfortably do without the grid for most of their electricity with a battery that only stores a days worth. I could even do without  the grid  for the last 450kWh I fall short of from Mid November to March with a simple chp system which would  make better use of the thermal energy of gas. Of course we are going to rely on fossil fuels for a long time yet but no need to continue with such profligacy and those living in high density housing will have to rely on what is provided, and pay for it.

You need to be using that power however hard it blows!.

It's simple O level physics that show why this is not practicable;energy in the wind is the mass flow times the square of the velocity, mass flow also contains a velocity term as it is mass  passing per unit time, hence the energy varies with the cubic power of the wind velocity. So if you design the hardware to make use of the wind  and produce a return on the hardware at an average 7 metres per second then double the wind speed to 14m/sec and you need to cope with producing 14 times the average amount of power, it is simply not worth investing the equipment for such a range  so cheaper to produce the power around the average speed with machinery optimised for it and shut down when the windspeed is too high for the equipment to absorb the energy.

• Like 3

The lie is the one the renewable zealots spout, you can't run a world on renewables and then proceed to try and educate me about why they shut down wind turbines when it's too windy!.

They are variable pitch, your calculations are pointless, it's the same technology used in aircraft propellors and they work at 500mph.

What about the blades and the fact we've been burying them or burning then to co fire cement production!.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

Just back from a cycle, and the "black" economy appears to be doing fine, based on my observations, both yesterday and today, in a local pub, where the Guinness is truly superb, also worth noting the horse racing appears to be well supported.

Poverty, what poverty?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GarethM said:

The lie is the one the renewable zealots spout, you can't run a world on renewables and then proceed to try and educate me about why they shut down wind turbines when it's too windy!.

They are variable pitch, your calculations are pointless, it's the same technology used in aircraft propellors and they work at 500mph.

What about the blades and the fact we've been burying them or burning then to co fire cement production!.

That tone of language ends the discussion for me mate

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Got any links to substantiate this?

What sources are you using?

17 minutes ago, difflock said:

Just back from a cycle, and the "black" economy appears to be doing fine, based on my observations, both yesterday and today, in a local pub, where the Guinness is truly superb, also worth noting the horse racing appears to be well supported.

Poverty, what poverty?

Its still summer, give it time. :D 

Anyway, folk wont really change their habits, they'll just spend the same of frivolities then claim they are drying from not being able to heat their homes, or not be able to afford to heat a couple of tins of beans and some toast then refuse to pay their heating bill. 

• Like 2

Tone, do you not like the fact it's actually true?.

They burn shredded tyres to make cement to reduce the amount of natural gas they use.

Sources to prove what exactly, it's well known they have variable pitch blades. It's a bit like having a chocolate tea pot and only being able to use it for cold drinks.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

A niece of Mrs CC and her husband have a combined income of about £140k, it's mostly him as he has a very high up job in a local council.

They tell anyone dumb enough to listen that they're going to struggle to buy heating oil this winter.

Inflation doesn't lie, the country is awash with money and that's the main problem.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

A niece of Mrs CC and her husband have a combined income of about £140k, it's mostly him as he has a very high up job in a local council.

They tell anyone dumb enough to listen that they're going to struggle to buy heating oil this winter.

Inflation doesn't lie, the country is awash with money and that's the main problem.

I don’t think what they earn really matters. People generally end up living within their means.

I know my own income generally goes up year on year, but I’m never particularly any better off, I just own more crap 

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

I believe they will struggle as well. £140k sounds like a lot but you’re absolutely hammered with tax on that. It’s highly likely they have cut their cloth accordingly to their wages. So they’ll have a mortgage based on their income, and I’ll assume a house that’s s fairly large size out in the sticks if they’re on heating oil. With Heating Oil trebling over the last 2 years that could make a significant difference to what, if any disposable income they may have previously budgeted for.

Every working man is going to be hit hard by this. The green eyed monster is not going to  change that. 

• Like 1