Fings wot broke

aspenarb

1 minute ago, scbk said:

Cheers, that was on a kubota oc95, which I think you have a few of.

The screw extractors have quite a course thread, the ones I've had less success with in the past have a finer thread.

Drilled a small pilot hole, then a slightly bigger hole, both with left hand drill bits just incase it caught. Put the screw extractor in, few taps in with a hammer, attach tap wrench handle (so you can apply even pressure), then cross fingers and clench buttocks!!

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

This6 Piece Spiral Flute Screw Extractor Set allows you to easily remove broken socket screws, bolts, stud and fittings. Simply drill a hole in the centre of the broken bolt the correct...

Now I'm jealous. The number of broken exhaust studs on those flipping engines, and not once have I managed that.last one I drilled it, and got  my welder to re fill the hole and re tap it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Now I'm jealous. The number of broken exhaust studs on those flipping engines, and not once have I managed that.last one I drilled it, and got  my welder to re fill the hole and re tap it.

Do you think it's just the engine vibrations that does it?

I noticed the exhaust seemed to be vibrating more than usual, bent down, and both exhaust mounting bolts had disappeared, then on feeling round the back there was only 1 stud left holding the whole thing on :mellow:.

I'm assuming the mounting bolts have worked there way out first, and that led to the stud snapping?

Have you had any bother with the fuel tanks cracking? I've had mine brazed twice now by a friend, due to tiny cracks. Got a universal tank to fit to it at somepoint, it's still in the shed :$

6 minutes ago, scbk said:

Do you think it's just the engine vibrations that does it?

I noticed the exhaust seemed to be vibrating more than usual, bent down, and both exhaust mounting bolts had disappeared, then on feeling round the back there was only 1 stud left holding the whole thing on :mellow:.

I'm assuming the mounting bolts have worked there way out first, and that led to the stud snapping?

Have you had any bother with the fuel tanks cracking? I've had mine brazed twice now by a friend, due to tiny cracks. Got a universal tank to fit to it at somepoint, it's still in the shed :$

From experience, yes. Although if the engine runs low of oil, it causes more vibrations, and then the snapping. I have had the mounting plates on the exhaust snap, plus the two bolts under neatly that clamp it to the engine. I resolved this by drilling out to the next size and fitting an m12 cap head bolt.

Not had a fuel tank go for a while, but it's usually because its been incorrectly mounted without the rubber supports.

Would be interested in your alternative, as they re nearly £300 new. What machine is yours running?

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Re the "Eazyout" screw extractors, the cousin says at his work they drill a hole and simply hammer in an appropriately (and presumably cut off to give a straight shank?) Allen key.

I have not yet had occasion to try this technique.

Torx bit for an impact driver works if you get the hole the appropriate size but not if the broken bolt is held in by corrosion, like steel in aluminium, I generally have to drill those out.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...