Red diesel again

eggsarascal

4 hours ago, Squaredy said:

I had to google HVO fuel. 

Is it really a simple alternative to red diesel?  If so what does it typically cost and is it widely available?

Me too but interesting read, seems HVO not susceptible to diesel bug so could be a good alternative for a lot of intermittently used plant.

37 minutes ago, htb said:

Nationwide fuels quoted 126 plus vat for 1000l of red and HVO was about 166, wont be going there.

That would work for me: I currently use white diesel in forklift telehandler and genny since the new rules cam into force earlier in the year.  Sawmill is not classed as forestry so my fuel costs have risen by about 300% in the last year. 

I will look into HVO in more detail.

18 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

That would work for me: I currently use white diesel in forklift telehandler and genny since the new rules cam into force earlier in the year.  Sawmill is not classed as forestry so my fuel costs have risen by about 300% in the last year. 

I will look into HVO in more detail.

The white hvo will be even more. The base fuel costs more, the tax is the same. 

1 hour ago, doobin said:

The white hvo will be even more. The base fuel costs more, the tax is the same. 

Oh I see - there is red and white HVO is there?  That explains why it isn't too well known,  - that it is always more expensive I mean.

30 minutes ago, dumper said:

But I’m told it has a ten year life in the tank and no diesel bug 

What’s a red diesel bug? Not heard of this. Is it something the Russians planted as I believe a lot of red is imported from them. Or was! I’ve had problems with red glooping up the filters cos of bio diesel being added but not bugs🤔

The bug is the bacteria which feeds on the bio part of the diesel - especially if the diesel is left for a while. It starts off as small particles, grows into a stringy like substance and then coagulates to form a jelly-like mess.  Can block pickup pipes as well as filters etc.  We have to change the CAV filters on or boats every four weeks at present 'cos of it.

• Like 1

Never heard of HVO so just looked it up. Good points are 10 years shelf life and no bug, ideal if you don't use a big amount regularily.

Says "HVO can often be used without modification in diesel engines". What does that mean?

Means it meets diesel standards.

They do sell a bug killer for those that don't use much. I've seen lots of speculation regarding metal Vs plastic tanks allowing light through to let the bacteria grow.

One presumes they need sunlight and bio oil, they can't really live in isolation and darkness 

Edited by GarethM