Can chainsaws be more safe?

pete_08

Knowing the danger points of potential injury and how to avoid them is the largest part of being safe. 

Do you wear all the kit and not bother to switch the engine of when walking or know a trip with a running machine could cause injury and switch it off whilst walking ...two different outlooks! 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

OTOH a sticker may work

il_340x270.2386140287_l3vl.jpg

Out of 100 ****************wits how many of them identify themselves as a ****************wit do you reckon ?

About zero would be my guess....

Edited by bmp01
For some reason my reply was auto edited.... which is probably a good thing, I must be a f'wit.
  • Like 1

Chainsaws are not dangerous it's the user, be it not proper PPE , training.  Personally if you buy one from b&q or elsewhere you should be made to buy a days training in safe use/ maintenance, be it cutting fire wood or felling a small tree for a diyer . 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bmp01 said:

Out of 100 ****************wits how many of them identify themselves as a ****************wit do you reckon ?

About zero would be my guess....

Obviously it's as you say and just a bit of fun. I don't believe stickers or most signs we see in our daily routine are of any benefit if initial training has been understood and taken in.

Let’s just take it one step further and stop the mass merchandisers selling them, I would suggest only selling saws to somebody who had a recognised certificate, but god knows we sat down and tried that with the top handle saws but certain dealers decided to ignore this and sell them anyway, we covered the box in stickers saying trained operators only, and not to be used as a ground saw, but to no avail, the Husqvarna trio brake was way ahead of its time, and by the way is still available, it was a sae a system as you could get, however the so called professionals poo houd it, saying it gets in the way, well no it stoped you using the saw incorrectly, so when manufacturers try to make things safer all we get is winging operators saying they do not want it, when you start working on saws you see the appalling lack of Maintenon from operators, it amazes me some times that something like a chain saw you are earning a living with is treated so badly.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, pete_08 said:

I think if the user is wearing all the correct PPE and is trained in using a chainsaw then the risk of injury has been greatly reduced. I believe that most injuries occur when the PPE and training do not exist and that is where I’m trying to reduce the risk of injury 

Why?

Would you try and try and protect people who decide to ‘have a go’ at titting around with their own gas supply?

Chainsaws are dangerous, it’s why they work so well.

Dumbing them down just so some amateur fuckwit cheapskate weekend warriors don’t cut themselves isn’t very high on my priority list.

• Like 5

That is fair. 

My problem is that there are still plenty of chainsaw injuries every year. It is difficult to find data on the types of injuries caused with a chainsaw but I would assume it would be from lost control and mostly by beginners. 
Lack of data is a huge problem, I've seen similar to that 1994 chart before. Top handle saws are much more popular in the US and this accounts for all the left hand injuries, also how many older saws without chain brake were still in use then?

Chainsaws can be made alot safer than they are all ready and it would be a very simple answer, and that is just dont let idiots use them, there are far to many people out there that say they can use a chain saw but sorry to say they havent got a clue, Was on a job a few wk back and one guy with saw boots and pants on snedding a tree but he has saw pants rolled up to his knees ? what the point of that exercise was is beyond me but some of the younger lads just seem to be so clever and when you point something out to them, i am just a silly old t - - t that knows FA, but only been doing it 40+ years but know nowt !!

• Like 5