Can chainsaws be more safe?

pete_08

6 hours ago, Unframed Dave said:

Your insurance premiums going up is SFA to do with DIYers. It's everything to do with what you do being dangerous and every industry sectors premiums also going up. Insurance ratings for your industry will not be effected by DIY accidents.

I still don't see the need to be rude and insulting.

Some one goes to A&E with a chainsaw injury they do not get asked if pro or diy so all the figures get lumped together, the result of this is yes as an industry we do suffer with higher insurance and red tape because of diy ****wits.

A diy person that has asked for advice, brought a pair of trousers, boots and lid moves away from the ****wit camp and into the sensible (but still untrained) diyer.

my answer would be to ban sales of all saws to non ticket holders, that includes second hand having to prove you checked before selling a saw. I think this would solve a lot of accidents and have some impact on the sale of stolen gear if every ****wit wasn’t allowed to own one. The basic training to own a small saw for your own firewood and garden shouldn’t need to be hard or expensive to teach basic maintenance and safety.

If this happened the industry would also benefit on the same level that people except they can’t piss about with there gas supply so call a gas safe plumber.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Will C said:

Some one goes to A&E with a chainsaw injury they do not get asked if pro or diy so all the figures get lumped together, the result of this is yes as an industry we do suffer with higher insurance and red tape because of diy ****wits.

No

Sorry, but if a pro goes to hospital, they go accompanied. H & S procedures kick in, which is where the majority of weightings data will come from.  Completely different ball game. If it weren't, chefs would be uninsurable due to all the accidents and crime involving kitchen knives. 

And of course they ask the nature of the incident leading to the event. 

I'm still failing to see where the need to be rude and insulting comes in? 

Dave 

Edited by Unframed Dave

Dave, I’m not including you or others on here who are similar in the ‘DIY fuckwits’ group.

You might not be pros, but you use pro PPE, you’re on this site to learn stuff, and seem to have the necessary respect for saws.

I’m talking about people who I see all too often who are totally clueless.

Waving their blunt Toolstation saw about with the obligatory 20” blade in their safety Levi’s and trainers, no lid, muffs or visor.

I will be as rude about people like that as I want.

If I said what I really think of them Steve would ban me.

I’m not disrespectful to them, I have no respect.

Why should I?

Matty was spot on with his post.

Our lives would be better without them.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

My understanding of the situation is that insurance companies would only be alerted if a claim for injuries was made, i.e. employers liability insurance for employees (including sub-contractors.)

HSE would only be alerted if a report was made under RIDDOR, again an employer responsibility. 

Cheers

Paul  

Fair play, I stand corrected. 👍

what’s your take on this subject Paul?

1 hour ago, Will C said:

Fair play, I stand corrected. 👍

what’s your take on this subject Paul?

Hi Will, tbf I haven't really followed the thread so i can't really comment meaningfully.

In terms of DIY'ers buying or hiring chainsaws, as long as there's a market for it, its always going to be there.

We need to concentrate on the professional users where we can influence good practice and make chainsaw operations safer (I used one ground-based and aerially for circa 10 years and never had an accident / cut injury...good luck or good practice? (the latter I believe, BUT toppers weren't around back then.))

Cheers,

Paul

11 hours ago, Unframed Dave said:

My son and wife wear the same standard of PPE as myself when working in proximity to me and none of us have any scars, whatsoever related to tree work.  

Wearing chainsaw ppe just cos they're nearby, is that not a bit ott :w00t:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Hi Will, tbf I haven't really followed the thread so i can't really comment meaningfully.

In terms of DIY'ers buying or hiring chainsaws, as long as there's a market for it, its always going to be there.

We need to concentrate on the professional users where we can influence good practice and make chainsaw operations safer (I used one ground-based and aerially for circa 10 years and never had an accident / cut injury...good luck or good practice? (the latter I believe, BUT toppers weren't around back then.))

Cheers,

Paul

Out of curiosity when were you using a saw aerially? as the 020t has been knocking around since god was a boy.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1