Staff issues

simonm

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite so Rich.

I knew a guy back in the U.K.

Ran a 4wd and trailer, low level garden trees, capable enough climber, made a living, paid his mortgage, fed his family, happy enough.

Probably undercut the big(ger) boys on the Mrs Miggin's birch jobs.

If you'd told him he was devaluing the industry, cutting his own throat etc. He'd have shrugged his shoulders and got on with paying the bills, as he should.

Yes but in reality not a very good business man. What happened when his capabilities slowed down, he needed to work less or decided to retire? Did he then get a job on the taxi's ?

Your right in saying people can charge what they want, it is a free market after all. It doesnt mean its the right thing to do.

A friend was telling me he had some Romanian tree planters staying in his self catering recently, they were each making about £120 a day! (and working 6 or 7 days per week aswell of course)

Yes but in reality not a very good business man. What happened when his capabilities slowed down, he needed to work less or decided to retire? Did he then get a job on the taxi's ?

Your right in saying people can charge what they want, it is a free market after all. It doesnt mean its the right thing to do.

What do any of us do when age taps us on the shoulder? Bit of garden maintenance, lawns, hedges the like.

Maybe, as you say, drive a taxi, work in a factory canteen or become the leader of UKIP.

We're all of us shuffling towards our inevitable doom.

(Too dark?)

Edited by Mick Dempsey

What do any of use do? Bit of garden maintenance, lawns, hedges the like.

Maybe, as you say, drive a taxi, work in a factory canteen or become the leader of UKIP.

We're all of us shuffling towards our inevitable doom.

(Too dark?)

Or get prices up to a level where you can send lads out, pay them a decent wage and still make enough yourself.

Or get prices up to a level where you can send lads out, pay them a decent wage and still make enough yourself.

Bang on Skuhuck , it takes time in industry but find your niche and build a client base, takes bloody years of hard graft and sacrifice in my experience . Some are handed it on a plate or get lucky .

Nice thought but there are not enough Mrs Spendthrifts to bolster this industry with these inflated wages We are after all only oiks working in the service sector and not barristers or doctors. Domestic tree work has to be affordable to the client and that is the bottom line, if it does not represent value for money Mrs Tenquotes Miggins will not have it done. If you want a comfy retirement look elsewhere and get involved with other things because not many can retire off the back of this game.

Bob

I think it's a bit of all the replies in here combined, however, £10 an hour or less is ridiculous! Life is expensive in this country now and if you have a family to support, vehicles to run, education to pay for etc there is no way that that sort of money would keep you above the surf line. I've payed for all my tickets, two lots of education and all my heavy vehicle licenses, plus I've got a wide range of experience, that means I come at a cost. For that cost however I guarantee that your company isn't dragged through the mud in any way and that you as an employer receive my best work. If you request top dollar then you make sure you bloody well earn that top dollar.

It's give and take on both sides really.

As for experience, I've come across guys with ten years experience and all they've done is back yard jobs on 30 foot conifers or trees, then I've come across some guys who have travelled a bit and spent 4 of their 5 years doing large crane jobs which makes them very well rounded versatile as climbers.

Just my two cents worth of observation.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk