Staff issues

simonm

After a year of staff issues i am debating if its better to take someone on with tickets or start somebody from scratch!

I have had groundsmen with a few tickets that have come and being a pile of shite, turn up late, wreck tackle, cant be arsed doing the job right, seem to be no good ones around here despite offering decent pay.

Had lads that have never touched a tree before that start off alright then after a month don't wanna carry on as its hard work!

Tried self employed and its just not cost effective to use them all the time + you can never drop on when you need them.

Would be nice to get a climber in that i can send out with groundsman but as we do domestic tree work & commercial + all the **** jobs in between ie hedge cutting folk just are not interested, i can no longer be on site, out quoting + doing all the other important stuff, don't wanna keep investing time in people that don't wanna graft!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pay well enough and you will attract the talent.

Lol not always the case. You can throw loads of money at a monkey but its still just a monkey. :thumbdown:

I agree a decent pay should get you better people but they need the right attitude also

Lol not always the case. You can throw loads of money at a monkey but its still just a monkey. :thumbdown:

I agree a decent pay should get you better people but they need the right attitude also

Exactly, I have spoke to numerous people who genuinely think they should be on £120 a day on paye dragging brash!

Wages are more than fair and I emphasise thst the more they prove their worth the more they get paid.

They seem to think that no matter what they do they will automatically be on top whack!

If you need a professional, then advertise for one at the best rates you can afford. Be brutal in your selection & have patience. There is the "right" employee out there, however they may be difficult to find.

Otherwise get a monkey & pay peanuts, then if they earn more than there keep, invest in them

I've only brought people in on a casual basis so probably have no right to comment, but having worked for a number of firms over the years and been lumbered with the new starts. Its a lottery, some look promising but turn out wasters and vice versa, you might just have to work through the deadwood until you find the right recruit.

I spoke to a 39 yr old yesterday who claimed to have 7 yr experience ability to tow, cs30 31 only, he asked what pay would be I thought as he is a bit older probably with better worth ethic I said around £10 an hour on paye, job and knock 5 weeks paid hol & bank hols. Not enough I was told! 20k a year for quals he had is surely a fair price? Its slowly grinding me down to the point that I dont wanna do the job.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Arbtalk mobile app