Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

15 hours ago, Big J said:

The situation with the NC500 is quite comedic.

It has been heavily promoted by the councils and government as a tourist attraction, and yet they're not prepared to heavily invest in equipping it with the necessary infrastructure to accommodate them.

The roads need to be upgraded, the campsites need to be expanded and upgraded and regular facilities should be installed. The tourist demand isn't going to go away, and nor should it. It brings much needed employment to an otherwise remote and economically challenged part of Scotland.

I don't think the council has ever promoted the nc500. It was dreamt up by a business group.

I'm not sure it's a problem you can build your way out of. The council doesn't have enough money to maintain what they've got already. The roads are in a really bad state now due to the volume of traffic.

UK government will be doing well out of it with the money made on fuel duty, maybe they should be paying for the repairs?

A lot of the people doing the route will fill up with food and fuel at tescos inverness, zip round in a few days, then off home again. It would work better if you had half the volume of people, but staying for double the length of time

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Either tbh.
I couldn’t imagine sat divers taking home anything less than £1k a day (and I’d like to think double that really).
They are the ones actually undertaking the high value work, their individual wages must pale into insignificance when taken as a percentage of the cost of whatever job they are part of, because of these reasons unproductive ones surely wouldn’t get much/any work so those doing the job must be at the top of their game, and that is before we consider the relative risks and discomfort of the work. 

The figures in your table don’t reflect what I would have expected (but it’s obviously not an industry I know anything about). 

Do you want a job as the negotiator at the next round of ODIA pay talks 👍😄

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Do you want a job as the negotiator at the next round of ODIA pay talks 👍😄

A couple of mates’ dads were sat divers in the 70s and they made proper money at the job.
One subsequently set up (and later sold) a national restaurant chain and the other sadly passed away in a rebreather incident in a quarry a few years ago. Neither you would **************** with! 

41 minutes ago, scbk said:

I don't think the council has ever promoted the nc500. It was dreamt up by a business group.

I'm not sure it's a problem you can build your way out of. The council doesn't have enough money to maintain what they've got already. The roads are in a really bad state now due to the volume of traffic.

UK government will be doing well out of it with the money made on fuel duty, maybe they should be paying for the repairs?

A lot of the people doing the route will fill up with food and fuel at tescos inverness, zip round in a few days, then off home again. It would work better if you had half the volume of people, but staying for double the length of time

You can't expect the tourists to take their time if there is nowhere to stay. 

The route has such potential, but it's unexploited. Most people could easily spend a week up there, rather than (as you say) whizzing around in a couple of days.

17 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

A couple of mates’ dads were sat divers in the 70s and they made proper money at the job.
One subsequently set up (and later sold) a national restaurant chain and the other sadly passed away in a rebreather incident in a quarry a few years ago. Neither you would **************** with! 

Well I’d say anyone who survived those early days deserves every penny they got. The casualty statistics for that period make for grim reading. 1600-1700 a day at min for sat, the difference is I guess the cost of everything has rocketed and the tax bands have stayed put for years so the  benefits are not as great as they maybe once were. I mentioned in a previous post that I know a good few guys who are paying 60-80k a year in tax for the privilege of being locked in the bin for weeks on end, thanks to our ridiculous tax code you have guys onboard the vessel going tax free due to seaman’s regs ( even though they are not vessel crew )  but divers or dive supvs don’t qualify. 

The bloke who got sentenced to 7 years for rape the had it extended to 17 because he continued to proclaim his innocence was released from jail this week because there was no DNA evidence to link him to the crime but new DNA evidence showed it was someone else . However ,should he receive any compensation ( and its not cut and dried that he will ) he may have to pay HMP for his board and lodging WTF !  

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3