Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

That statement about not investigating sub letting(in respect of the Grenfell fire) cannot surely be correct.

Since numbers(of persons at risk) is key to fire safety planning, and any such plans rendered useless, or certainly less useful, foolproof or "robust" by illict subletting/overcrowding, in the event of a fire.

In this case I care not re the tenants/occupants legal immigration status.

mth

That statement about not investigating sub letting(in respect of the Grenfell fire) cannot surely be correct.

Since numbers(of persons at risk) is key to fire safety planning, and any such plans rendered useless, or certainly less useful, foolproof or "robust" by illict subletting/overcrowding, in the event of a fire.

In this case I care not re the tenants/occupants legal immigration status.

mth

Failure to address immigration is a failure to recognise a contributory factor of the housing crisis.

If it's all too "uncomfortable" then we will continue to (rather poorly) treat the symptoms rather than the cause.

As to the correctness, or otherwise, of the truth wrt not investigating immigration / sub letting, it was widely reported that there would be no checks or action for fear of preventing victims coming forward.

If the reporting was accurate, it's a diabolical submission to lawless behaviour for fear of "upsetting" snowflakes. Just my view...

Google it and choose your reporting media of choice, there are plenty of options that say the same thing. It's just the opinions of wether it's appropriate or not that differ...

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

Failure to address immigration is a failure to recognise a contributory factor of the housing crisis.

If it's all too "uncomfortable" then we will continue to (rather poorly) treat the symptoms rather than the cause.

As to the correctness, or otherwise, of the truth wrt not investigating immigration / sub letting, it was widely reported that there would be no checks or action for fear of preventing victims coming forward.

If the reporting was accurate, it's a diabolical submission to lawless behaviour for fear of "upsetting" snowflakes. Just my view...

Google it and choose your reporting media of choice, there are plenty of options that say the same thing. It's just the opinions of wether it's appropriate or not that differ...

Is substandard building really a result of failing to recognise the immigration problem Kevin? Or is substandard building a result of greed and profit?( both the same I know) I know what my money's on!

The developers and manufacturers along with building standards have to come up with answers here, the head of the council has gone, tbf he probably knew diddly squat anyway.

Will be interesting to see how they handle the 'compo' issue! Will illegal immigrants be entitled to claim?

What about landlords who illegally sub-letted flats? Prosecuted?

What about the persons who allegedly stole and sold fire doors......culpable manslaughter?

One minute the politicians are saying we have to endure austerity as the cupboards are bare, then Westminster council find 68 flats worth well over £1m each for the survivors of Grenfell.

What I found shocking about Grenfell is that very few of the Grenfell tenants were actually white british working class. I thought the whole point of social housing was to house the UK's needy. We seem to be housing the third world :(

What I found shocking about Grenfell is that very few of the Grenfell tenants were actually white british working class. I thought the whole point of social housing was to house the UK's needy. We seem to be housing the third world :(

Matelot your use of 'white British' is offensive.

British is British and illegal immigrants are illegal! Colour or religion has nothing to do with it.

Over the years both in and out of the military, I have met, worked with, befriended and fought alongside inspirational British people from all races and religions. I have also met some white British despicable, bigoted, lazy ar*eholes!

Please don't spin this conversation to your own racist agenda, or 'Royal' will get upset!😉

Is substandard building really a result of failing to recognise the immigration problem Kevin? Or is substandard building a result of greed and profit?( both the same I know) I know what my money's on!

The developers and manufacturers along with building standards have to come up with answers here, the head of the council has gone, tbf he probably knew diddly squat anyway.

Over crowding, sub-letting, vandalism and theft of fixtures & fittings, the social housing crisis etc, etc...

Made worse or made better by an annual population increase at or around 300,000?

Cause & effect Mull.

We can fluff around the edges but unless we look at the demographic, we're closing our eyes and minds to the root of the cause.

I appreciate it may be an uncomfortable realisation for some, but there it is IMHO.

Should also say, I do agree with you on the issues that need to be addressed wrt building standards, sharp practices etc Mull.