Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I guess.

But I'm pretty sure many on the loosing side will still be unhappy.

Just look at the referendum, that could not have been fairer, each vote was of exactly equal value, but the re-moaner will never be happy.

We live in a time of self entitlement where people feel aggrieved that they have not got their way, regardless of the number.

That's not the point. If it's a true democracy, every vote should count regardless of the outcome. Don't you agree?

That's not the point. If it's a true democracy, every vote should count regardless of the outcome. Don't you agree?

I think the idea of "true democracy" is a flawed one.

Its an imperfect system, where a majority can find they don't get what they want, its the largest minority that often wins.

A hung parliament is possibly fairer and would possibly be more common under PR, but it can be pretty impotent and lead to stagnation.

My mate's dad was a fireman. He said that there were so many applications for jobs that any application received that had been posted using a second class stamp was put in the bin....

It's not really a sign that firemen are underpaid....

Hung parliaments can't be a good outcome for anyone as nothing will get done.

Like in America Obama being president but not being able to push stuff through because the other side could block its path.

The same for trump too.

If the "winner" can't get what they promised voters done they are not really winners at all

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

So, Grenfell Tower residents are being housed by the council in hotels etc, yet its some how outrageous that they have still had their rent payment taken.

Am I missing something?

I rent, if my home burnt down and my landlord rehoused me while they made repairs, would I expect to pay no rent? NO!

Either you're going to have to stop talking sense, or I'll have to stop agreeing with you!

Here's another completely outrageous cave in to the PC brigade:

The almost immediate statement that no immigration or sub letting checks would be made.

Er, why?

If there's to be a public enquiry (at great public expense) and it DOESN'T identify uncontrolled immigration and sub letting as a direct and relevant contributory factor, then we'd just as well hiss the money it will cost up the wall!

I think the people with true power in a democracy are those that choose which people to stand for parties in each constituency. We all know that some constituencies are Labour/ SNP/ Tory strongholds. It's the MP selection panels that really have the power in a democracy....

There have been 54 Prime Ministers. 19 have went to Eton....

I guess.

But I'm pretty sure many on the loosing side will still be unhappy.

Just look at the referendum, that could not have been fairer, each vote was of exactly equal value, but the re-moaner will never be happy.

We live in a time of self entitlement where people feel aggrieved that they have not got their way, regardless of the number.

Maybe, but to me I can't see how the loosing side have a leg to stand with proportional voting whereas I can the current system. It just seems far more logical and fair- local elections would be conducted in the same way.

I agree with your last sentence but it's not hard to see why they feel this way with the current voting system?

How many times in the past 50 years for example would pr have changed the outcome?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Maybe it's just a psychological problem- and you may be right that PR wouldn't change the outcome but can't see how anyone can dispute it if done proportionally. I certainly wouldn't but as I said above I felt like I must have wellstayed at home last election!