Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

I think pensioners should be means tested for all they receive Timon, a fair few of them are in mansions and sitting on very healthy nest eggs while others are in desperate need. The elderly are all living longer and drain an amount of cash from the pension/healthcare/housing pot that is totally unsustainable and disproportionate to the contributions made during their working life. I feel it should only go to those that need it most however unpopular that is. We all know there is nothing in the kitty and owe it to future generations not to rack up more

Bob

So, you work hard all your life. Save some money for a rainy day. Hopefully leave a bit to the kids. And get penalised for it.

Meanwhile, your lazy neighbour sits on his backside all his life. Never has a job, gets everything for free. Including a larger pension than you get?

I know these examples are at extreme ends of the scale, but surely that can't be right?

So, you work hard all your life. Save some money for a rainy day. Hopefully leave a bit to the kids. And get penalised for it.

Meanwhile, your lazy neighbour sits on his backside all his life. Never has a job, gets everything for free. Including a larger pension than you get?

I know these examples are at extreme ends of the scale, but surely that can't be right?

Maybe but I was talking about this with my dad not long ago. He reckoned he got back all he paid in in about 5 years.

He does not need it all it does is go towards whatever car lease he chooses every 2 years. Wrong? maybe when others are choosing between heating and eating. That's not his fault though is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

In all seriousness, there are few current social issues that cannot be, in full or part, traced back directly to a complete inability of local, regional and central government to understand, regulate and manage population fluctuations.

:

Then you have the environmental issues that migration brings...

We need an extra 300 houses a day to accommodate net migration into the UK. That's a lot of greenfield being covered over in concrete.

If were talkin about saving money looking at pensioners is barking up the wrong tree imo.

What about our MP's who think its completley acceptable to vote themselves another pay rise every 5 minutes who's policing those buffoons.

Im really gettin to the point where im thinkin guy fawkes had the right idea.

Theres a quote in a famous movie that is very apt here

"Nest of scheming b@st#rds that couldnt agree on the colour of sh!te"

If were talkin about saving money looking at pensioners is barking up the wrong tree imo.

What about our MP's who think its completley acceptable to vote themselves another pay rise every 5 minutes who's policing those buffoons.

Im really gettin to the point where im thinkin guy fawkes had the right idea.

Theres a quote in a famous movie that is very apt here

"Nest of scheming b@st#rds that couldnt agree on the colour of sh!te"

How many MPs are there? 650? If they gave themselves a £10k pay rise that's only £6.5m a year...

How many pensioners are there? 10 million? What is the fuel allowance? £100 or similar? That's £1 billion.

How many MPs are there? 650? If they gave themselves a £10k pay rise that's only £6.5m a year...

How many pensioners are there? 10 million? What is the fuel allowance? £100 or similar? That's £1 billion.

Your logic hinges on every pensioner being a scrounger which just isnt the case.

How many pensioners are well off?

Do you have any idea or any statistics?

In reality the number is probably quite low in comparison to the 1 billion your stupidly banding around

Your logic hinges on every pensioner being a scrounger which just isnt the case.

How many pensioners are well off?

Do you have any idea or any statistics?

In reality the number is probably quite low in comparison to the 1 billion your stupidly banding around

tbh, if I was a pensioner I'd be insulted that the government thought I was that senile that I couldn't budget for winter fuel bills....

It seems strange that pensioners get the fuel allowance/ free TV licences and free bus travel. IMHO, the people that need a little extra help are the young and low paid.

tbh, if I was a pensioner I'd be insulted that the government thought I was that senile that I couldn't budget for winter fuel bills....

It seems strange that pensioners get the fuel allowance/ free TV licences and free bus travel. IMHO, the people that need a little extra help are the young and low paid.

Ok...em...i totally agree..i didnt see that coming.:thumbup:

I have too add though there are many ways to save money and many more deserving that extra money than our alreadly well paid MP's

I have too add though there are many ways to save money and many more deserving that extra money than our alreadly well paid MP's

MPs well paid?

The deputy head teacher at my wife's school earns more for not running a school yet you think MPs are well paid to run the country.

Maybe if it did pay well we would get some decent MPs

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Lol, what did I say! In a few months we'll be best pals.

Tbh, the pay for an MP isn't really that huge considering the job insecurity and they work in London..... I've travelled in the third world and a lot of officials want baksheesh (backhanders) because they are paid poorly. If you cut MPs pay you'd get more corrupt MPs.