Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

Maybe it's just a psychological problem- and you may be right that PR wouldn't change the outcome but can't see how anyone can dispute it if done proportionally. I certainly wouldn't but as I said above I felt like I must have wellstayed at home last election!

Maybe if we were forced to turn out and vote then pr would make sense?

As it is now lots can't even be bothered to make a short trip to vote

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That doesn't make any sense. Surely then, no one should ever get a pay rise as there is always somebody else willing to work for less pay than you?

Are the current firefighters doing a good job?

Are the applicants of high enough cabler?

If the answer to these is yes, why pay more?

I guess you would switch car mechanics if you felt the service was god, but the price was too low :001_rolleyes:

Remember the pubic sector have many, many benefits beyond their basic pay.

Where does tactical voting fit into all this?

I'd imagine it would be done regardless but perhaps less effective with PR... id have thought it wouldn't be to the voters incentive to vote tactically as much- who ever has the most votes wins- just like the referendum- how can you argue with the results. There can be no coalition.

That doesn't make any sense. Surely then, no one should ever get a pay rise as there is always somebody else willing to work for less pay than you?

Its called "retention" if those experienced and doing the job are not better than someone keen to do the job, your doing something wrong.

I'd imagine it would be done regardless but perhaps less effective with PR... id have thought it wouldn't be to the voters incentive to vote tactically as much- who ever has the most votes wins- just like the referendum- how can you argue with the results. There can be no coalition.

No, my understanding is that coalitions are more likely.

I guess you would switch car mechanics if you felt the service was god, but the price was too low :001_rolleyes:

They are different questions which I and I guess you dont know the answer too.

I was commenting on the fact that you said because there are people applying for a job then no body currently doing that job should get a pay rise. I thought it made no sense and wasnt a valid argument thats all. :001_smile:

I'd agree with that especially the benefits of the public sector.

Take my wife's job as a teacher. money is reasonably good she could earn more doing something else in the private sector as she has the qualifications.

But she gets 13 weeks a year holiday. Good sick pay (6 months full 6 months half) and a reasonable pension. Though they did move the goalposts on that so she is not getting what she signed up for (at least some of it anyway as they have managed somehow to split it with some on the old deal and some on the new deal)

She could be earning double salary but without the other benefits now.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk