Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

MPs well paid?

The deputy head teacher at my wife's school earns more for not running a school yet you think MPs are well paid to run the country.

Maybe if it did pay well we would get some decent MPs

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

MPs wages are not subject to taxation. We have to pay for their second home in London admittedly a mortgage on interest only basis( however if they sell the property the mortgage is paid off and they pocket the rest). Meals are paid for (as MPs must be fed and watered) all travel expenses are paid for by us etc etc etc. If after having all your possible living expenses covered and you are left with £74k a year in pocket money, you don't think that's very good then what work do you do and in what areas? I'm on my way because the roads around you are paved with gold :lol:

MPs wages are not subject to taxation. We have to pay for their second home in London admittedly a mortgage on interest only basis( however if they sell the property the mortgage is paid off and they pocket the rest). Meals are paid for (as MPs must be fed and watered) all travel expenses are paid for by us etc etc etc. If after having all your possible living expenses covered and you are left with £74k a year in pocket money, you don't think that's very good then what work do you do and in what areas? I'm on my way because the roads around you are paved with gold :lol:

This http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/members-faq-page2/#jump-link-17

Would suggest they don't pay tax is a myth.

if that were true it would put them on reasonable money but nothing excessive for the job they are supposed to be doing imo

That's because they do target the most vulnerable in society.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Arbtalk mobile app

I suppose that depends on what your understanding of vulnerable is....

According to the previous labour government (11 years ago) I was classed as "vulnerable" I was a career addict supported VERY generously by the state £330 pw. + a rent paid for flat, drug worker, Massive prescription, etc...etc....etc....

Believe me, I was anything but vulnerable......

Timon.

Splitting hairs, but it's just over £2100 for the higest band in K&C. Just checked. I pay just over £2000 for a band E bungolow in the Yorkshire Dales.

Probably time there was a reassessment of council tax rates and brackets. Saying that, if it was free, I still wouldn't want to live anywhere in London.

£2100 for a £10m, property

thats a joke :thumbdown:

This Frequently Asked Questions: MPs - UK Parliament

Would suggest they don't pay tax is a myth.

if that were true it would put them on reasonable money but nothing excessive for the job they are supposed to be doing imo

That link sends you to Andrex (or if it doesn't then it should ). I was listening to a radio programme a few years ago and a former MP rang into the show. He completely shot down the current MP who was bleeding on about how much work they actually do for his wage. This was when they were on £60k and as he pointed out after all the living cost that have to be taken into account, MP's living standards were comparable to those on pre tax salary of £180k.

Their salary has risen since then. All costs of living have all risen, especially the mortgage costs in London so with all these factors it'll be safe to assume they are comparable to those on a salary well over £200k

That link sends you to Andrex (or if it doesn't then it should ). I was listening to a radio programme a few years ago and a former MP rang into the show. He completely shot down the current MP who was bleeding on about how much work they actually do for his wage. This was when they were on £60k and as he pointed out after all the living cost that have to be taken into account, MP's living standards were comparable to those on pre tax salary of £180k.

Their salary has risen since then. All costs of living have all risen, especially the mortgage costs in London so with all these factors it'll be safe to assume they are comparable to those on a salary well over £200k

How much do you think the job should pay?