Chasing up quotes

Will Heal

Chasing up small domestic work that hasn't been done after a suitable period has elapsed would be sensible, a nudge to get it back in the eye so to speak. The down side is that if you get it wrong, you run the risk of coming across all double glazing salesman.

For commercial work where the other party is a professional they would probably not be surprised or offended to be reminded.

Its not something I would do as a matter of course but I can see how it would be tempting.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How strange, are you sure their not just using that as an excuse because they don't want to admit to going with the cheapest quote :sneaky2:

Oh for sure that's happened loads of times as well, but it turns out that some people were genuinely surprised that I 'didn't get back to them'.

Just an idea Dave, why not give us your thoughts/opinions on the whole chasing quotes thing, instead of trying to catch people out all the time?

yep that's a fair call Mick, well said.

I'm not one to shy away from phoning or even knocking on a door to see if they have accepted my quote, after all it's generally us Guys and Gals that are just as tentative/shy about being seen to be 'chasing work' as it is for a customer to have to call back and say 'we have chosen someone else'.

Just keep it professional and turn the udder cheek:laugh1:

I cant see a problem with a follow up call, whenever we put a materials tender out to suppliers you can be sure that they will follow up with a call to see if they have won it or not. It quite often leads to a bit more pencil sharpening :001_rolleyes:, A customer/ friend of mine has always said " nothing moves unless you push it".

Bob

Just an idea Dave, why not give us your thoughts/opinions on the whole chasing quotes thing, instead of trying to catch people out all the time?

Projecting there Mick, I'm not trying to "catch people out", simply reading with interest and wanting to better understand :001_smile:

I generally give a price and walk away. Very rarely give written quotes, 99.9% verbal, but will email if pressed. I'm far to lazy to chase people up, but I'm sure I will have on occasion.

To be fair Dave that's the way I've always operated, but I'm trying to streamline things these days.

It's more to manage my diary more effectively than get more work.

As Joe said earlier, some jobs are more likely to be chased than others....

My work is mostly small stuff, conifer topping, overgrown shrub removal etc, the kind of work that puts me in direct competition with the handyman, its also the kind of work where the customer gets quotes from every number in the book, so I don't win that many, if I don't hear back its almost always because someone put in a cheaper quote, but I do drive past the job on the off chance of getting the job of fixing the handymans cockup, which has worked and given me a second bite at the apple, its quite degrading, but pride don't put food on the table!