The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friend rang me today with a happy new year and asked how sales were .. I said not very good and he wasn't surprised as a neighbour had a load of oil delivered for 30p a litre. No wonder it's not shifting. This is the 2nd year when cord price are high yet the market is full of cheap firewood ..how can merchants keep going..A friend of mine who installed a kiln hasn't sold much and in fact he is letting us dry our kindling in it just to keep his rhi payments coming in.

Comments?

Joy

Hi yes thought sales were a bit slow in N ovember but December went mad out every day 5 or 6 loads think they were putting off buying till near xmas.plenty of orders for early new year butmaybe then it will slow but get a couple of frosts and the phone will light up again.

Yes cord or hadwood pulp as it used to be has got to silly money but at least it might stabilize or even drop slightly .As for cheap firewood has anyone bought any and was it any good.Some of my customers have tried and come straight back to me.One lot round me is even closed for a fortnight over xmas and newyear!Plenty others advertise but I never seem to see them out and about.

Anyway you seem to have a good thing with you friend and your kindling I am sure ther are years of log burning to go I thought the same 20 years ago when most customers were rather old but more new ones came along than old ones passed away.

Happy newyear Chris.

I got into this position and yes you can choose to buy back from the harvesting side that timber that suits your stock level and processor. The idea that you can flog that which you don't need to keep at precisely the right moment though is hard work, firewood in particular as other merchants in lorry distance don't want the roundwood when it's warm etc either.

I agree, I didn't mean that you would always get the best price. But you can at least choose the most buoyant market (cordwood or firewood). Half the posts bemoaning the lack of firewood sales are also whining about high cord prices.

It's like farming- there is a large overlap between feed prices rising and finished stock prices rising to follow, which can make you or break you due to the finishing time of stock (seasoning/winter sales of logs).

Bottom line is that firewood is a commodity which like oil,gas and whatever else heats a house will fluctuate in both demand or price. Not much consolation for those that have large amounts stacked when the price or demand drops off but like all these things it will only be a blip in the market trends.

Bob

its a plan to bring russia to its knees, but its not working, russia produces gas, europe needs that gas, russia is now selling its gas for gold only, it will not deal in dollars, the big plan is failing, expect to see oil prices rise sharply as the US discovers that Putin wont give in to there petty demands, hang on to the wood stocks because as soon as the cheap fill on the heating oil is gone , the clients will be back

its a plan to bring russia to its knees, but its not working, russia produces gas, europe needs that gas, russia is now selling its gas for gold only, it will not deal in dollars, the big plan is failing, expect to see oil prices rise sharply as the US discovers that Putin wont give in to there petty demands, hang on to the wood stocks because as soon as the cheap fill on the heating oil is gone , the clients will be back

WOW!!!!!!!!

Makes you wonder why those with the "plan" could not foresee the ease with which Russia would side step the "plan"??????????:confused1::confused1:

Do you guys buy your tinfoil wholesale?????? making all those hats must add up!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::laugh1::lol::biggrin: