The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

Friend rang me today with a happy new year and asked how sales were .. I said not very good and he wasn't surprised as a neighbour had a load of oil delivered for 30p a litre. No wonder it's not shifting. This is the 2nd year when cord price are high yet the market is full of cheap firewood ..how can merchants keep going..A friend of mine who installed a kiln hasn't sold much and in fact he is letting us dry our kindling in it just to keep his rhi payments coming in.

Comments?

Joy

Maybe in the UK but not over here. Us Paysan folk can't do without it :thumbup: Even if the price of oil dropped to 10p a litre the true rural French are cynical enough to know that it is a temporary price and the cost to install oil/gas CH is not worth it in the long run. People still have money in the UK no matter how much they bleat.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does any one else think that the "NEW Lifestyle woodburner owners",soon get fed up with the "Chore/hardwork !!(in their eyes) of lighting a woodburner,soon deters them from using it very often so they then just buy a couple of nets of logs from there local garage,rather than a load/half load from us guys.

Does any one know if forecourt sales of netted logs are up,down or about average this winter so far?

Does any one else think that the "NEW Lifestyle woodburner owners",soon get fed up with the "Chore/hardwork !!(in their eyes) of lighting a woodburner,soon deters them from using it very often so they then just buy a couple of nets of logs from there local garage,rather than a load/half load from us guys.

Does any one know if forecourt sales of netted logs are up,down or about average this winter so far?

Garage we supply who requlary shifts a hundred nets a week is down by about 20 per cent

We are certainly seeing orders from the trendy wood burner folk who want tree wood but only want a half cube bag which will probably last 12 months.

What makes me laugh about the above is how they wine about the £7.50 deposit on the bag. But will pay £4.00 for 6 mouldy birch logs.

This will seem a very simpleton question to ask but does any one know where one can get historical weather data for ones local area. I am interested to know how much temps have been above average this winter,compared to the last ten years ,the number of winters I have been supplying firewood . This season the worst so far. Cheers and a Healthy ,Safe and Prosperous(as long as you dont rely on log sales) 2015.:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Um...sell roadside???

If you are geared up for harvesting AND processing, you are in the fortunate position of being able to cut your cake the way you like it.

The two should be costed as separate operations. Timber is worth X at the roadside this month, firewood prices look like they will be Y, do we 'buy' timber from our harvesting operations to process, or is it not worth it?

I got into this position and yes you can choose to buy back from the harvesting side that timber that suits your stock level and processor. The idea that you can flog that which you don't need to keep at precisely the right moment though is hard work, firewood in particular as other merchants in lorry distance don't want the roundwood when it's warm etc either.

This will seem a very simpleton question to ask but does any one know where one can get historical weather data for ones local area. I am interested to know how much temps have been above average this winter,compared to the last ten years ,the number of winters I have been supplying firewood . This season the worst so far. Cheers and a Healthy ,Safe and Prosperous(as long as you dont rely on log sales) 2015.:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Weather and climate change - Met Office

any good?