The end of firewood?

Joy Yeomans

'Nearly lost their houses'. From a fire in a flue? :001_rolleyes:

You make it sound like we're refining uranium rather than part of trade which requires nothing more than a saw and an axe.

Uranium could be easier to process it does not need to be seasoned for 18 months cut to exactly the right size and delivered a 4 pm Christmas eve. Also glows in the dark so you don't need lights to work on it :biggrin:

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but we're running out of it so the issue may become moot; there's plenty of wood though!

Bring on fusion, then we'll be sorted.

You all need not worry, the demand for good quality burning wood will never get to the point that no one will need it so all of you who work hard to process it from cut to logs just be a bit more positive, this industry is always highs and lows so come on just ditch the doom and gloom and be more focused and stop worrying bout what everyone else are doing price wise and quantity ect and be working on what you produce and change. Let the cheap be cheap and focus on your quality.:thumbup::thumbup:

i fine people want logs for the feel of a fire, even though they got oil.

i will just focus on the quility of my product, and customer service.

i raised my prices this season, not a complaint

and picked up some new customers through word of mouth, and others saying "i have had ......'s wood and it does not burn, i bought a meter thing they are 35%+"

all the new customers are on their 3 or 4 load. :thumbup1:

like everything there are highs and lows

the lows normally thin out the cowboys

As has been said oversupply and a fall in demand are the main issues. China's rate of growth has slowed and the EU is still on the brink of recession, in the medium term a lower oil price will help kick start economies round the world and so increase the demand for oil. Oil supplies have recently come back on line from Libya and we are just starting to see the impact of shale oil and gas from the USA.

The high oil price over the last few years has led to the development of unconventional oil and gas in the USA, traditionally these were too expensive to produce and were therefore not developed. They are still expensive and require continued investment to drill new wells, as each well has a very short life before it is depleted. A lot of the fields will be uneconomic below $75/ bbl; over the next 6 months production from the US will tail off, this will be temporary, as they can easily start drilling and fracing again if the oil price makes it economic. A lot of people in the industry expect the oil price to stay around $60/bbl for the next six months and then settle around 80$/bbl.

Lots of jobs will be lost in the NE of Scotland over the next few months, with the oil price already below the break even cost for a lot of the older platforms. And new projects will be cancelled or put on hold.

A low oil price my be good for world economies but could be a disaster for the environment - there will be less incentive to develop alternative energies and more CO2 will be released into the atmosphere.

I think all the talk of punishing Russia or Iran are just conspiracy theories, it is just the market adjusting to changes. Personally I think that Russia becoming unstable is highly dangerous and the Russian people are likely to back Putin against the world if they are backed into a corner.

All the above could change if IS continue to spread across the Middle East and into North Africa.

happy new year ;o)

As has been said oversupply and a fall in demand are the main issues. China's rate of growth has slowed and the EU is still on the brink of recession, in the medium term a lower oil price will help kick start economies round the world and so increase the demand for oil. Oil supplies have recently come back on line from Libya and we are just starting to see the impact of shale oil and gas from the USA.

The high oil price over the last few years has led to the development of unconventional oil and gas in the USA, traditionally these were too expensive to produce and were therefore not developed. They are still expensive and require continued investment to drill new wells, as each well has a very short life before it is depleted. A lot of the fields will be uneconomic below $75/ bbl; over the next 6 months production from the US will tail off, this will be temporary, as they can easily start drilling and fracing again if the oil price makes it economic. A lot of people in the industry expect the oil price to stay around $60/bbl for the next six months and then settle around 80$/bbl.

Lots of jobs will be lost in the NE of Scotland over the next few months, with the oil price already below the break even cost for a lot of the older platforms. And new projects will be cancelled or put on hold.

A low oil price my be good for world economies but could be a disaster for the environment - there will be less incentive to develop alternative energies and more CO2 will be released into the atmosphere.

I think all the talk of punishing Russia or Iran are just conspiracy theories, it is just the market adjusting to changes. Personally I think that Russia becoming unstable is highly dangerous and the Russian people are likely to back Putin against the world if they are backed into a corner.

All the above could change if IS continue to spread across the Middle East and into North Africa.

happy new year ;o)

Well written and all very informative, did I miss the bit about log processing and the selling :confused1::confused1:

happy new year ;o)

Well if it is a conspiracy theory to me is some bumf a load of stoners dreamed up sat with tin foil hats on or 50% of America.

I've listened to one of our clients she use to in the security services and now advisers the European Union on foreign affairs. Those are her personal believes I can't really see her been a believer of conspiracy theories.

I may be completely wrong.

Funny how threads evolve into a different subject