The underpricing thread.

Mark Bolam

True dat.

You've shot your bolt by charging £8/hour in the past, I very much doubt he'll accept £15, which is what I'd want.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That seems really cheap to me I charge more than that for cutting grass! Is £15 an hour the going rate for chain sawing ?

As said above,never ever tell them how long you think it will take.

And if you charge a day rate or an hourly rate whenever the farmer sees you sitting down or standing around chatting to his daughter,he'll be thinking 'ime paying £15 an hour to him and he's not earning it'

Much better all round to price each job,or length of work, seperately.

Hope this helps you dj.

That seems really cheap to me I charge more than that for cutting grass! Is £15 an hour the going rate for chain sawing ?

It might well be too cheap, but I don't see how you'd get more.

That's £120/day for easy work.

I use 'easy' comparatively.

I've got one next week

Conifer hedge to be reduced from 30ft to 18ish ft

I put 1 day with a team of 3

I see the over side of the hedge 2 days ago

Think I should have put the price in at £890 rather than £650 grrrrrrr

Never mind conifers always get me

As said above,never ever tell them how long you think it will take.

And if you charge a day rate or an hourly rate whenever the farmer sees you sitting down or standing around chatting to his daughter,he'll be thinking 'ime paying £15 an hour to him and he's not earning it'

Much better all round to price each job,or length of work, seperately.

Hope this helps you dj.

How ever your been payed if he sees you chatting he will feel hard done by there a funny type if your caught talking to his daughter he may even come out polishing his shotgun well muttering!!

Working for a client isn't the same as working for another company, even as a subby. Its fine to work for £8-15 an hour for another tree firm, but the moment you work for a private client you should be asking £150 a day.

If you want to work for farmers join your local machinery ring, you'll find the rates are better..

£120 a day a fair rate, I don't think you've shot yourself in the foot with the previous £8per hr as you can point out it's just above the living wage and you hadn't accounted what your outgoings would be as you're 'newly independent', I know some farmers can be fairly tight but they can also be reasoned with! I generally work on price but am happy to do day rate (on my terms) particularly for jobs like big windblown trees as they should be approached with a bit more caution so no pressure from worry of having underpriced (it's worth noting that international storm damage manual states saw/winch operations shouldn't be carried out as piece work for similar reasons)

It might well be too cheap, but I don't see how you'd get more.

That's £120/day for easy work.

I use 'easy' comparatively.

When it's said as 120 for the day it sounds better! But even then I suppose it depends on overheads other than a saw and fuel.

Also it's no good if it's just an hour or 2 unless you can fill the day elsewhere.