The underpricing thread.

Mark Bolam

Surely if it needs lowering you need a crane not a MEWP.

I would suggest getting a more experienced climber, not less.

No, because a MEWP allows me to cut smaller and drop stuff further away than I can throw it as there are no work positioning issues.

My point about less experience is less experienced climber will rig big lumps on dangerous tree without appreciating the extra danger, I've been there whilst working for others in the past, looking back I was being taken advantage of.

I'm sure the tree could be climbed and if I were more keen for the job I would do it, but looking at it as a professional the extra risk means a different approach should be taken, specially as we should be aiming to be using MEWPs as our first resort rather than last, strictly speaking. Basically sure it could be done but we should all be pricing to do things right and utilise the machinery and technology at our disposal rather than 'risking it'

No, because a MEWP allows me to cut smaller and drop stuff further away than I can throw it as there are no work positioning issues.

My point about less experience is less experienced climber will rig big lumps on dangerous tree without appreciating the extra danger, I've been there whilst working for others in the past, looking back I was being taken advantage of.

I'm sure the tree could be climbed and if I were more keen for the job I would do it, but looking at it as a professional the extra risk means a different approach should be taken, specially as we should be aiming to be using MEWPs as our first resort rather than last, strictly speaking. Basically sure it could be done but we should all be pricing to do things right and utilise the machinery and technology at our disposal rather than 'risking it'

I really don't see why you can cut smaller using a MEWP:confused1: I almost never lower and cut and chuck virtually every tree I climb.

I am certainly not suggesting anyone should be "risking it".

Personally I hate MEWP's, I disagree that they are safer, but thats just my opinion.

I really don't see why you can cut smaller using a MEWP:confused1: I almost never lower and cut and chuck virtually every tree I climb.

I am certainly not suggesting anyone should be "risking it".

Personally I hate MEWP's, I disagree that they are safer, but thats just my opinion.

Ive done my fair share of horrible trees but i agree with skyhuck i feel much safer up a tree than a mewp i physically cant go up in them anymore not for me at all. ive been in tracked 18 meters, truck mounted 20meters etc etc there not safer in my eyes if the trees still standing its stronger than it looks.

I hate MEWPs and will cut and chuck 95% of the time but I still think a well set up and operated MEWP is safer, and usually faster.

Properly is but to me they are totally unnatural they shouldnt be able to go that high and reach out as far as they do without tipping if i was going to have a accident it would be in 1 of those

• 1 month later...
Properly is but to me they are totally unnatural they shouldnt be able to go that high and reach out as far as they do without tipping if i was going to have a accident it would be in 1 of those

I'd let the manufacturers decide what they are and are not capable of... Although I appreciate where you're coming from.

The biggest problem with ALL powered access and lifting equipment is incorrect set-up by the operator/user. This may be to the MEWP rental market growing faster and cheaper than training can keep up with or the feeling of indestructibility that some people get with 'oh I've got a machine, it's fine...'

Too little attention is paid to gradient and ground bearing pressure - be it a wheeled, tracked or spider machine - as well as overload by exceeding capacity be it due to too much in the basket, gradient or wind.

I'd recommend IPAF for training and testing of operators - they are very good and forthcoming with guidance to both help you and keep you up to date with current 'best practice'.