The underpricing thread.

Mark Bolam

Do you make a habit of lying to your clients??????:thumbdown:

Bit of an extreme reply innit? More like he was just calling matey's bluff - and why not as it seems that he was bluffing?

There was no need for the customer to e-mail back saying he had a quote for 1000 euros cheaper. He could have just e-mailed back saying 'we've had a number of quotes but have decided to go with another firm'.

Bit of an extreme reply innit? More like he was just calling matey's bluff - and why not as it seems that he was bluffing?

There was no need for the customer to e-mail back saying he had a quote for 1000 euros cheaper. He could have just e-mailed back saying 'we've had a number of quotes but have decided to go with another firm'.

Very unprofessional, IMO, we are the professionals, not the clients.

If the client is lying, are they likely to admit it due to that email?? I think not so whats the point?? :confused1:

If they are telling the truth, they are going to think you were trying it on with the ordinal quote, if your able to drop your price so easily, so will probably stick with the other quote (I would) So whats the point??

If I really felt the need to reply to such an email (which I'm pretty sure I would just ignore or simply thank them for letting me know) I would simply say I was sorry my quote was not of use to them and to please feel free to ask me to quote for future work and then just wish them well.

When it comes to winning work, some you win some you don't, going down the road off "calling someones bluff" is a big mistake IMO, better to just let it go and get on the the jobs you do win and not worry about the ones you don't :001_smile:

Very unprofessional, IMO, we are the professionals, not the clients.

If the client is lying, are they likely to admit it due to that email?? I think not so whats the point?? :confused1:

If they are telling the truth, they are going to think you were trying it on with the ordinal quote, if your able to drop your price so easily, so will probably stick with the other quote (I would) So whats the point??

If I really felt the need to reply to such an email (which I'm pretty sure I would just ignore or simply thank them for letting me know) I would simply say I was sorry my quote was not of use to them and to please feel free to ask me to quote for future work and then just wish them well.

When it comes to winning work, some you win some you don't, going down the road off "calling someones bluff" is a big mistake IMO, better to just let it go and get on the the jobs you do win and not worry about the ones you don't :001_smile:

Different strokes for different folks. :001_smile:

You sound like a holier than thou smart ass on the attack to me...:sneaky2:

Ty

My word, if being asked if you "make a habit" of something you have openly admitted to, is taken by you as "an attack", you must have lived a some what blessed and sheltered life :001_rolleyes:

When it comes to winning work' date=' some you win some you don't, going down the road off "calling someones bluff" is a big mistake IMO, better to just let it go and get on the the jobs you do win and not worry about the ones you don't :001_smile:[/quote']

I agree, I recently went to look at a job and the lady wanted some advice on her tree, it had a TPO, she explained what she wanted so I advised what to apply for, she wanted to apply her self. I then get called back months later to quote for the work. I spent another 45 mins talking about what she had permission for which wasn't what she originally wanted, I have her my price and left. She said she was getting 3 more quotes, I got a call 2 weeks later saying I hadn't got the job as they had a cheaper quote but thanks for my time. I thanked her and hung up. I could of asked how much cheaper was her chosen quote but I couldn't be arsed, she had all ready wasted 90 mins of my time. Just let it go and enjoy life.

You sound like a holier than thou smart ass on the attack to me...:sneaky2:

Ty

I don't think he does at all - he has a very valid point in what he's saying... much better to take the professional route at all times.

I don't always take this route (rightly or wrongly) and all I was saying earlier is that I don't blame you for calling this particular customers bluff and that Skyhucks comment seemed over harsh to me...

....but looking at your above post here I'm sort of regretting that now!!

:001_rolleyes:

My word, if being asked if you "make a habit" of something you have openly admitted to, is taken by you as "an attack", you must have lived a some what blessed and sheltered life :001_rolleyes:

Forgive me but " making a habit of lying to clients?"

I certainly don't make a habit of lying and very much resent that.

The non-client cost me a whole 2 hours on a Saturday morning with travel time. His whole approach was that of a market trader, I simply talked to him in a language he could understand.

Calling the bluff of a 'client' to me is a harmless act and certainly not deserving of such a vitriolic response from a moderator of all people.

The client was lying in his response, that is clear, saving face instead of saying 'Sorry, I can't afford it'

Ty