The underpricing thread.

Mark Bolam

Back to the subject:

I priced to plant a Laurel hedge, as a sub-contractor. We started digging and found a 12" thick reinforced concrete slab. 1.5days of labour with a mini digger and mini skip turned into 4days with a 5t digger & breaker, 2t dumper, 5t telehandler and 4 skips!

Looks like the client is about to knock me for the lot because patio slabs cracked even though they were pre-warned and said ok.

We get clients to sign a quote that contains the phrase 'Hors vice cache' that simply translates to 'Without unseen problems'

So when we did a line of fence posts and found it was 30cms of top soil laid over an old concrete farmyard we didn't get held to our price.

Same applies to tree work and garden building the clients supply.

Ty

Your probably get a call in the new year if its that bad only an idiot would climb it!

How can you say that without seeing the tree??

Different people work differently, the other guy may feel a knows how to do the tree safely.

I've climbed plenty of trees that others have claimed were "unclimbable".

how much holding it up?

Good them neighbours mates or mates... :001_rolleyes:

Some of the cavities I could stick my hand in and 'hold' the tree so 4" or less in several places, also had a line of cavities up one side and thickness of wood was very thin up the whole side, apparently another local contractor

How can you say that without seeing the tree??

Different people work differently, the other guy may feel a knows how to do the tree safely.

I've climbed plenty of trees that others have claimed were "unclimbable".

The reason mine needed a picke as it needed to all be lowered but there was no decent lower point as for the ash its down to the climber but for £3-4 hundred quid why risk it.. The other guy may think its a straight fell. Who knows not interested in a debate if I'm honest.

Cheers :001_tt2:

I've climber plenty of 'unclimbable' trees too, but this really needed lowering and had a lot of lean on a steep bank overhanging four gardens, it was tricky before chucking the extent of its decay into the equation.

Paying some keen less experienced climber to do it and telling them it was fine crossed my mind but I deemed it to be a tad unethical no doubt that's the type of character who will unwittingly find himself up there!

I've climber plenty of 'unclimbable' trees too, but this really needed lowering and had a lot of lean on a steep bank overhanging four gardens, it was tricky before chucking the extent of its decay into the equation.

Paying some keen less experienced climber to do it and telling them it was fine crossed my mind but I deemed it to be a tad unethical no doubt that's the type of character who will unwittingly find himself up there!

Surely if it needs lowering you need a crane not a MEWP.

I would suggest getting a more experienced climber, not less.