The underpricing thread.

Mark Bolam

Just doing an Ash at the moment which I put £1500 on but I should have put £3k on it 🤦‍♂️. All the back side has to be rigged and nothing is allowed to go in next door and every bit that was rigged got caught up. We have managed to speed line one side out but then the weather turned and it’s only timber left and we can’t do anything till it drys up a bit because the lawn will get trashed with it being boggy. So I have a half done job that I am finishing in 3 weeks time. And to top it all off I’ve got one truck in the shop at the moment and my hilux has just cut out on me and had to get a tow back this afternoon. It’s under warranty but Toyota have said they can’t do anything with it till end of next week. What a week.

29 minutes ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

Just doing an Ash at the moment which I put £1500 on but I should have put £3k on it 🤦‍♂️. All the back side has to be rigged and nothing is allowed to go in next door and every bit that was rigged got caught up. We have managed to speed line one side out but then the weather turned and it’s only timber left and we can’t do anything till it drys up a bit because the lawn will get trashed with it being boggy. So I have a half done job that I am finishing in 3 weeks time. And to top it all off I’ve got one truck in the shop at the moment and my hilux has just cut out on me and had to get a tow back this afternoon. It’s under warranty but Toyota have said they can’t do anything with it till end of next week. What a week.

You’ll laugh about it someday, just not today!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

God hates you . Its his little way .

• Like 2

I’m glad my post sparked some conversation! I admitted I likely overpriced the job, it is deceptive in the photo (isn’t it always though). I guess the bigger debate is wouldn’t life be better if the bodge job cowboys who set the precedent last year charged more and brought the bottom line up for everyone? As it that’ll ever happen! 🤦🏼‍♂️

8 hours ago, IronMike said:

I’m glad my post sparked some conversation! I admitted I likely overpriced the job, it is deceptive in the photo (isn’t it always though). I guess the bigger debate is wouldn’t life be better if the bodge job cowboys who set the precedent last year charged more and brought the bottom line up for everyone? As it that’ll ever happen! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sounds to me more like they charged the going rate but didn't have the skills to back it up.

We have some bridge job pikeys going around our local area at the moment, they advertise OAP discounts and are pulling them in. A lady I gave a quote of £800 plus vat to and accepted had them knock on her door, they said they had. One to do the trees, sha asked if paul had sent them to which they said yes. They then did a terrible job, ruined a lovely Cedar and through the waste over the hedge into a field,. The bloke then said that one of the trees was dangerous and had to come out. They charged her 6k, made her pay on the spot and left......all in 4 hours. They butchered an 89 year old Man's lovely Euc, charged him 7k for 3 hrs work. A local tree surgeon gave them a slagging on Facebook, they were not happy and in the end offered him a grand to go and tidy up the tree....shocking behaviour but people are still falling for it.
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I think there is a tendancy to believe anyone cheaper than you is a cowboy or a busy fool and anyone more expensive is a rip-off merchant.

(not related to the ash or ironmike btw)

I have been in trouble with clients where there is limited space to remove material.

Suddenly you realise that in order to get the stuff through the doorway/round the passage you’re going brush the walls/doorframe.

But to get the job done in a day you need to get a decent armful out every time.

So every journey you run the risk of damage, and you also have to watch the groundy who doesn’t care that much (sometimes!)

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 6

There are many reasons people can be cheaper than you also, obviously there is the VAT to start with but in my area I think there are only 2 or 3 that are now not VAT reg. another guy I've seen advertises the fact he is cheaper because he owns his kit and isn't paying a finance on it, I kid you not, he had that on his Facebook ad, thing is all his gear is knackered and looks rough, well it will be as he doesn't charge enough to keep it repaired and renewed. Sometimes when pricing it's easy to promise the earth to get the job but in the cold light of day you think shit, this is gonna be awkward.. I never give a price on the spot now, I come away and have a think and then send it in. If I get it then fine and if not then just move on. I've lost jobs in the past for being too cheap....

• Like 2