Whats the weather like near you?

mendiplogs

8 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Really feel for you guys working out in this. I'm struggling just sitting in my office, which is built into my garage and a proper heat trap. But its the flies that are really doing my head in. I had 4 sitting on my hand earlier while i was typing!

Get yourself one of these fly curtains with the magnet closure in the middle Steve- reduces the amount we get in by 99%.
got three cats so they were always coming in for the food bowls, now get hardly any flies ?

383B8497-BE27-4773-9924-ADE5B455BDC1.jpeg

• Like 1

I really struggled to sleep at all last night. Bedroom was 26c even with a fan in the window blowing the then cooler air in. Even with no cover and starkers, far too warm. So dozed in the chair downstairs (few degrees cooler) from 01:00 to 06:00 and now feel hungover/ill. 

The heat itself isn't the issue, it's our shittily constructed house. It's not even that bad in the scheme of things compared to others in the UK, but it's cold in winter and roasting in summer. No house should get to 29c inside (my daughters bedroom, blinds shut all day) and if it does, it should have A/C. Even so, there shouldn't be a need for A/C in the UK if the house is properly built.

• Like 1

I really struggled to sleep at all last night. Bedroom was 26c even with a fan in the window blowing the then cooler air in. Even with no cover and starkers, far too warm. So dozed in the chair downstairs (few degrees cooler) from 01:00 to 06:00 and now feel hungover/ill. 

The heat itself isn't the issue, it's our shittily constructed house. It's not even that bad in the scheme of things compared to others in the UK, but it's cold in winter and roasting in summer. No house should get to 29c inside (my daughters bedroom, blinds shut all day) and if it does, it should have A/C. Even so, there shouldn't be a need for A/C in the UK if the house is properly built.

Sounds like your a bit bitter towards uk house builds J, they do it different over the water? [emoji16]
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Sounds like your a bit bitter towards uk house builds J, they do it different over the water? emoji16.png

Careful now, I'm in real danger of getting onto my soapbox.....

• Built to an absolute minimum standard. Almost never exceed regs, which are kept artificially low by lobbyists influencing government policy.
  • Crammed into developments at a density that does not allow proper air flow, exacerbating the urban heat island effect.
  • No solar shading. Houses are not designed to be resilient to hot weather.
  • No thought given to design and how it relates to aspect. So house design B will be plonked onto a site, even if it means a whole raft of unshaded windows are facing south or west.
  • Houses built for huge profit rather than as homes. Developers such as Persimmon grossing an almost 50% profit margin on all houses constructed. End price dictated by our ludicrously skewed housing market which serves it's principle purpose in the UK economy as a conduit and vessel of wealth. Which is very silly given that a house ought to be a home, first and foremost.
  • Almost no triple glazing.
  • No inbuilt A/C, despite the fact that in Southern England we are far more likely to experience an uncomfortable heat wave than an uncomfortable cold snap.

Most of those points relate to modern housing. We live in a rented farmhouse, which is best described as 'farmer built'. Four walls and a roof and f*ck all thought for design and insulation. My brother lives in a new Persimmon home in Exeter and their house is consistently 3c warmer inside than ours in summer, and it's ruddy freezing in winter.

I've been perusing houses in Sweden lately, and it's interesting to note that even in the budget price range (£50k or so), many houses have geothermal heating, A/C and triple glazing. 

It's long been established that we live in the worst houses in Europe. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Big J said:

Careful now, I'm in real danger of getting onto my soapbox.....

• Built to an absolute minimum standard. Almost never exceed regs, which are kept artificially low by lobbyists influencing government policy.
  • Crammed into developments at a density that does not allow proper air flow, exacerbating the urban heat island effect.
  • No solar shading. Houses are not designed to be resilient to hot weather.
  • No thought given to design and how it relates to aspect. So house design B will be plonked onto a site, even if it means a whole raft of unshaded windows are facing south or west.
  • Houses built for huge profit rather than as homes. Developers such as Persimmon grossing an almost 50% profit margin on all houses constructed. End price dictated by our ludicrously skewed housing market which serves it's principle purpose in the UK economy as a conduit and vessel of wealth. Which is very silly given that a house ought to be a home, first and foremost.
  • Almost no triple glazing.
  • No inbuilt A/C, despite the fact that in Southern England we are far more likely to experience an uncomfortable heat wave than an uncomfortable cold snap.

Most of those points relate to modern housing. We live in a rented farmhouse, which is best described as 'farmer built'. Four walls and a roof and f*ck all thought for design and insulation. My brother lives in a new Persimmon home in Exeter and their house is consistently 3c warmer inside than ours in summer, and it's ruddy freezing in winter.

I've been perusing houses in Sweden lately, and it's interesting to note that even in the budget price range (£50k or so), many houses have geothermal heating, A/C and triple glazing. 

It's long been established that we live in the worst houses in Europe. 

Can't argue with any of that.  And you haven't even mentioned the decades of bodging that blights our houses even more.  My 1920's house is stifling upstairs at the moment because plastic windows were fitted in the late nineties with very few openers for instance.  It also has many damp issues made worse by the government sponsored cavity wall insulation fitted in 1999.  At least these issues can be fixed, eventually and at a cost of many thousands. 

So to add to your ire about housebuilders I would add much frustration about cowboy builders, window companies etc.

• Like 1