It's time to wake up - and switch to Aspen Fuel

Aspen@AAOIL

Ahhh, the old reverse psychology technique!

Goddamit, I can afford it! I'll show you who's sucessful enough to use this stuff. Send me a pallet straight away.

Good luck anyway, I'm fine with verifiable stuff, it's just when the claims become a bit far fetched or spurious.

I understand where you are coming from Mick, but many of those claims are not so far fetched.

I work on petrol engined machines every day and see problems caused by pump fuel on a very regular basis. In the wrong hands petrol is evil stuff.

In the right hands however, with good management, its not too bad.

Still hate it though. Love aspen.

Edited by GardenKit

I've been using Aspen in all hedge cutters and biggest saws for about nine years.

In that time I've had no problems at all with any of those tools.

Prior to Aspen I had regular and many problems because those tools are not used daily and can sit unused for 2-3 months.

It's a 100% fact that Aspen is responsible for the trouble free running of the engines.

Yes it is too expensive but a portion of that is offset by zero repair and carb clean bills.

Those guys that have Aspen supply issues, order a pallet from source.

None of this is for Mick Dempsey's information, as he'll only argue.

Lol!

A few thoughts:

Its tax deductible. Running costs, consumable and justifiable with the health concerns.

Its too expensive to use in big saws. It just is. But the new strato engines don't produce as many unburned emissions - even on pump petrol they are much less harmful. Add in chip controlled carbs and the efficiency is even better. Upgrade for health.

In small saws, hedgers and maybe the temperamental 4-mix its not too expensive and better for the engines. Smaller engines, smaller jets, smaller gauses, less tolerance etc etc.

With discipline, we can use pump petrol in big machinery, then flush and store with aspen. Best of both worlds. Some talk about rotting pipes when you do this, but I'm not buying it.

Ok, so lets try to clear this up.

There is some truth in the stories that fuel hoses can cause problems when pump petrol ceases to be used. This does not happen all the time or on all the saws.

This problem is not caused by the Aspen, but by the preceding pump petrol and the fuel pipes were certain to cause problems anyway, after all, we all know that fuel hoses fail even on saws always used on petrol.

Simply put, the solvents in pump petrol soak deep into the rubber and leach out the additives built into the rubber which are designed to keep it supple and crack free. But the solvents also soften the rubber and keep it supple, whilst slowly dissolving it. Failure is inevitable at some point when using pump petrol.

Different qualities of rubber degrade at different rates, for instance the green Stihl hoses last much longer than the old black ones.

Remove the petrol and the rubber dries out and starts to shrink and crack. The severity depends on how long the hoses have been exposed to petrol.

Put petrol back in and they leak.

The same occurs if we add a fuel such as Aspen which contains no solvents. The pipes can sometimes shrink, crack and leak. But yet again the severity depends on the previous petrol exposure and quality of hoses.

So, as has been said, there may be no issues at all. There may be very slight leakage or even severe failure.

Replacement of hoses will ensure there is no problem and new hoses will never degrade when used with Aspen.

Ok,

Replacement of hoses will ensure there is no problem and new hoses will never degrade when used with Aspen.

This is what I did ( including crank seals ) and everything is like brand new . Its the way forward I am convinced . Just wish it was around when I was full time cutting . Retired from cuttin g now but all saws are " Aspiniezed " :001_smile: