It's time to wake up - and switch to Aspen Fuel

Aspen@AAOIL

"And how do you remove said nasties and where to they go ? ( I suspect the answer is into the air - which shoots a large hole in the green argument , though i'd be happy to be proved wrong)"

alkylate petrol is made from surplus gases in the distilation and cracking process's

see Alkylate Petrol - clean fuels,environmental and green fuels, petrol and bio diesel in the uk

hope this also answers your questions about how alkylate petrol is made.

Edited by Aspen@AAOIL

the higher price is due to alkylate petrol being more expensive to produce then standard road fuel because it is a much more refined fuel.

other things which add to the cost include logistics, packaging and the years of research gone into making a fuel designed especially for small garden machinery.

i will get back to you next week with a much better answer as im actually just about to go on holiday.

in the meantime you can have a read through the aspen guide Contents - Aspen 2011

it should hopefully answer some of your questions but please bare in mind this has been translated from swedish to english so some things might read slightly odd.

chow for now

I'm not being bloody minded either these are all questions that I will have to answer to justify trippling my fuel budget , as simply repeating unproven/unevidenced assertions from your marketing litterature isnt going to cut it

Really? Reading this post sounds you are being bloody minded.

If you can't justify increasing your fuel bill then don't buy it is the answer.

In my experience (over 4 years) of using Aspen I would never go back to using ordinary unleaded. The benefits outweigh the costs for me.

It's a cleaner fuel and that's proven not simply assertions to make you buy it. Campers use the 4t version in their stoves as it's actually cheaper (I don't know which stoves they use but apparently Aspen 4t is almost half the price).

so..... im swaying to getting some of this, my only concern is, can i pour it straight in to my old saws and run them or will there be problems with gunking up on the old fuel in the system? i know this was talked about briefely earlier, but i wouldnt mind knowing more before commiting and then having to strip all the saws down!

so..... im swaying to getting some of this, my only concern is, can i pour it straight in to my old saws and run them or will there be problems with gunking up on the old fuel in the system? i know this was talked about briefely earlier, but i wouldnt mind knowing more before commiting and then having to strip all the saws down!

There is no reason for anything to 'gunk up'. You can mix Aspen with petrol quite happily but I prefer to empty out the old fuel, run the engine dry, refill with Aspen and off you go. At least this way you are sure that the engine starts on Aspen, as it most certainly will, and if there are any tuning issues they will be immediately apparent. You will notice the absence of nasty 2 stroke fumes almost immediately, especially if you are in the workshop. As the fuel is very pure and contains no solvents it cannot harm the saw, so no stripdowns will be needed, unless of course there is a pre-existing problem which needs rectification. Aspen is close to magical, but does not mend saws!

And how do you remove said nasties and where to they go ? ( I suspect the answer is into the air - which shoots a large hole in the green argument , though i'd be happy to be proved wrong)

and lastly my principal negative comment is fact based - aspen is significantly (x2-3)more expensive than standard fuel , and in these straightened times I cannot justify multiplying the fuel budget by that much without very good reason

Your not giving straight answers to questions like...

What is the chemical make up of aspen ?

Has there been independent and peer reviewed research into the health issues of these chemicals, and if so where ?

How is it manufactured ?

What's its total carbon/polutant footprint ?

and what is the justification for it being nearly 3x as expensive ? (by which i mean actually why does it cost that much, not what's the justification for buying it)

...doesnt help make a case for spending the money to give it a trial. I'm not being bloody minded either these are all questions that I will have to answer to justify trippling my fuel budget , as simply repeating unproven/unevidenced assertions from your marketing litterature isnt going to cut it

Pete, It looks to me like you are overthinking the whole issue. It appears you are tempted by the idea of using Aspen but very sceptical of it. Just buy some and try some, surely a can or two at £17.60 (standard retail) will not hurt you to much. The price is not a rip off when you consider the extra packaging and distribution cost in relation to petrol, and for a far superior product.

Once you have tried it, especially in a confined area, I bet you will not want to use pump petrol again and will become another of the Pro Aspen members.

There is no reason for anything to 'gunk up'. You can mix Aspen with petrol quite happily but I prefer to empty out the old fuel, run the engine dry, refill with Aspen and off you go. At least this way you are sure that the engine starts on Aspen, as it most certainly will, and if there are any tuning issues they will be immediately apparent. You will notice the absence of nasty 2 stroke fumes almost immediately, especially if you are in the workshop. As the fuel is very pure and contains no solvents it cannot harm the saw, so no stripdowns will be needed, unless of course there is a pre-existing problem which needs rectification. Aspen is close to magical, but does not mend saws!

cheers for that, its put my mind at rest, i'll go out and buy some today and then let you all know what i think.

well read half this thread and decided i'd try some and see how i got on with it, not a heavy user but often in confined spaces with a disc cutter so thought i'd try to reduce the chance of me breathing in nastys!!

I'll be interested to see if it makes and difference and smells of pot puri from the exhaust!:biggrin: