It's time to wake up - and switch to Aspen Fuel

Aspen@AAOIL

well read half this thread and decided i'd try some and see how i got on with it, not a heavy user but often in confined spaces with a disc cutter so thought i'd try to reduce the chance of me breathing in nastys!!

I'll be interested to see if it makes and difference and smells of pot puri from the exhaust!:biggrin:

The exhaust will be great, but it wont help with the dust nasties

The exhaust will be great, but it wont help with the dust nasties

dust is already sorted with filtered air masks, they have carbon filters but doesn't take out all the two stroke smell!! So hopefully it'll help that front, but its never gonna be perfect!!!:001_smile:

dust is already sorted with filtered air masks, they have carbon filters but doesn't take out all the two stroke smell!! So hopefully it'll help that front, but its never gonna be perfect!!!:001_smile:

give it a try, then write your impressions on here to give others your feedback.

you will love the difference it makes :thumbup1:

I have used aspen once in the past - the other team we used to share a workshop with in my last job was on it so we used it intermittently when we borrowed fuel from them.

and to be frank I didnt really notice any difference - fuels fuel , and while the exhaust may smell a bit nicer so long as you arent working in an enclosed space you shouldnt be breathing your exhaust gasses to a serious extent anyway.

I also have a hard time buying the ' theres no solvents in aspen' line as petrol is itself a solvent - so you are essentially saying aspen isnt petrol , in which case what is it ? - which goes back to my question about what the actual chemical make up of aspen is, and whether anyone independent has looked at the health/environmental ramifications of those chemicals.

Also whats the whole carbon/polutant footprint look like when you consider the manufacture and distribution side in toto - I am always wary of these greenwash claims that stuff is greener at end use without mentioning the whole picture.

However the bottom line for me is the price and inconvenience of sourcing the fuel - I'm not trippling the fuel budget for no real benefit except for the 'joy' of driving into exeter to get another can, or waiting days for a delivery , rather than just popping to the garage at the top of the hill.

I guess, if you don't value your own health and convenience high enough, Aspen isn't for you.

You can keep shouting "emperer's clothes", but you are talking against scientific facts as well as thousands of users who believe and experience those facts about the health effects and deterioration properties of Alkylate fuels every day, and are happy to pay the price.

But rather than saying you don't believe in the lack of solvents in Aspen, look into the difference between Alkylate and normal fuel, and you'll find that the Alkylate destillation (refinery) process has additional steps to sort out the lightest molecules including benzene and other solvents. That process is very well described, see Alkylation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by morten

Just a quick one:

It was mentioned before that it is illegal in the Netherlands (there is no such country as Holland!) to use pump fuel in hand-held petrol tools. This is not true, nor is it true that it is compulsory to use an alkalyte fuel, technically...

It is an employers duty however to ensure that their employers are subjected to as little potentially health-damaging substances as is reasonably possible, which in court means: "Aspen!, or else..."

I believe there must be similar employee-protecting laws in the UK. If you can prove that alkalyte fuels are less dangerous (and it appears you can) then can you not force UK employers to use them?

Just a quick one:

It was mentioned before that it is illegal in the Netherlands (there is no such country as Holland!) to use pump fuel in hand-held petrol tools. This is not true, nor is it true that it is compulsory to use an alkalyte fuel, technically...

It is an employers duty however to ensure that their employers are subjected to as little potentially health-damaging substances as is reasonably possible, which in court means: "Aspen!, or else..."

I believe there must be similar employee-protecting laws in the UK. If you can prove that alkalyte fuels are less dangerous (and it appears you can) then can you not force UK employers to use them?

The same thing would be true of the UK if they didn’t keep dropping terms like "where reasonably practicable” into the legislative framework

It is reasonably practicable surely?

It means that it has to be reasonably practical and there has to be evidence that petrol will kill you.

The benchmark is asbestos, we know by medical research that asbestos fibres cause cancer.

No such evidence for petrol exists or the HSE would have been found with the club by now.

Reasonably practical also means you have to be able to get hold of the alternative, as long as it is so horrifically expensive and NOT freely available, my nearest dealer is many miles away and I don’t just want “a dealer” if I am going to tune my saws to a new fuel I want to be able to buy it like I can buy unleaded.

Why is this stuff so expensive? Can it cost that much more to produce?