Emails blocked..

john87

@john87

Before you fck Virgin off it's worth telling them that you're about to do so, to see what they come back with. I'd be willing to bet that they'll drop your bill considerably if you scare them like that, maybe even as much as half it.

For reference. We're with Virgin, I can't remember the details, but we've got 100Mb plus BB and a rook of TV channels for £42 a month. (We were paying more than 60 quid as they'd snuck it up over the years. We challenged them and low and behold they "found us a deal") Thieving cnts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GarethM said:

You don't need to buy a domain name, unless you're running a company for example.

I've never had any problems with hotmail from the NHS and I've had mine since the 2000s.

The place with the problems was NHS wales mind, might be different here..

13 minutes ago, sime42 said:

@john87

Before you fck Virgin off it's worth telling them that you're about to do so, to see what they come back with. I'd be willing to bet that they'll drop your bill considerably if you scare them like that, maybe even as much as half it.

For reference. We're with Virgin, I can't remember the details, but we've got 100Mb plus BB and a rook of TV channels for £42 a month. (We were paying more than 60 quid as they'd snuck it up over the years. We challenged them and low and behold they "found us a deal") Thieving cnts.

Mine is £62 plus another £5 as i will not do direct debit with the twats.. I knew a bloke years ago told them straight to shove it up their arse. They phoned him back half hour later and did it for half the price..

john..

Hi all,

I have just discovered that never mind cable or BT phone lines, you can have broadband sent to you by radio waves as it were...

Now that is an interesting thing... Anyone had it and what you think?? Good?? crap??

john..

6 hours ago, john87 said:

Hi all,

I have just discovered that never mind cable or BT phone lines, you can have broadband sent to you by radio waves as it were...

Now that is an interesting thing... Anyone had it and what you think?? Good?? crap??

john..

My brother does this in a small village in Hertfordshire, it works really well. 30Mb ish which will do two Netflix at the same time. Think his is bundle from EE with the box and SIM, plug and go.

I put WiFi in our village church which would have needed trenching the churchyard, bound to be bones wherever you dig, so I bought a 4G box (roughly £100) and they pay £18 a month for unlimited from iDmobile. Again, it's ok for two Netflix at the same time.

Don't look at 4G on your phone and think it will be rubbish, that's a tiny computer with tiny aerials. Decent 4G router is pretty good actually.

As others have said, set up email from someone else so you have freedom to change internet provider anytime. Google is free, they look through your data as payment. Microsoft charge. If you want to set your own domain then it's another few quid a month.

Hotmail does get blocked because it's been around so long that there were very few checks in early days of internet and people used Hotmail accounts for all sorts of dodgy stuff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, john87 said:

Hi all,

john..

We did a project years ago sending internet up a valley via radio - worked really well and at the time was about the fastest internet there was (was before fibre broadband, not sure how it compares now). Think the radio link was about 10 miles all in.

• Like 1

SV Delos is a youtube channel where some people gad about on a yacht. The bloke who owns the yacht did a video about the systems on board. One was ham internet, available worldwide. I was well impresssed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

My brother does this in a small village in Hertfordshire, it works really well. 30Mb ish which will do two Netflix at the same time. Think his is bundle from EE with the box and SIM, plug and go.

I put WiFi in our village church which would have needed trenching the churchyard, bound to be bones wherever you dig, so I bought a 4G box (roughly £100) and they pay £18 a month for unlimited from iDmobile. Again, it's ok for two Netflix at the same time.

Don't look at 4G on your phone and think it will be rubbish, that's a tiny computer with tiny aerials. Decent 4G router is pretty good actually.

As others have said, set up email from someone else so you have freedom to change internet provider anytime. Google is free, they look through your data as payment. Microsoft charge. If you want to set your own domain then it's another few quid a month.

Hotmail does get blocked because it's been around so long that there were very few checks in early days of internet and people used Hotmail accounts for all sorts of dodgy stuff.

Very VERY interesting...

How much speed do ii actually need?? Virgin have got me on 200 whatever they ares, but all i ever do is to watch, errrm, streaming videos, youtube and emails.

I looked on some site yesterday about this sort of thing and they said that in my area they have got 5G [which they said is faster than any cable connection, or at least as fast as] and they say you can have it for two weeks to try it out.. The firm is called "three" was very tempted until i found that they force you to have direct debit which is not going to happen..

john..

My £10/month smarty sim is 60GB ( goes down to 30GB after 6 months) on the 3 network .

I can use it on my PC by making my samsung tablet a hotspot in an upstairs window and with a usb wifi dongle in the pc.

For some reason I cannot get it working with the purpose made router with its external antenna.

So back to the original thing, if they have blocked or lost your e-mail account  am not sure there is much you can do. I've always gone for e-mails that are not linked to my service provider - just a paranoia what happens when I switch or move. Might be something to do in the future, I use hotmail / outlook, which apparently dates me, GMail used to be the thing but suspect that has been superseded now and only for old people (in computer terms, 30 year olds+).

If there was a computer genius reading this, they could set you up with a webpage, and e-mail address for a few ££ a year - complete control then (John87.co.uk ? ), but I'd probably stick to the free webmails.

After than what do you do online really? Watch a few videos is the most intense we go, and they are all OK, don't need to go any faster than we have (I think we get normal broadband, might be superfast now), and how much do you do online? Some phone sim deals work well if you have decent reception and not watching hundreds of TV shows  month