Emails blocked..

john87

8 minutes ago, Steven P said:

. GMail used to be the thing but suspect that has been superseded now and only for old people (in computer terms, 30 year olds+).

As I said before ( I am 71 on the 20th ) I use Mail.com . Its free and works on any browser and has some free cloud if you need it . Its never let me down and to be frank I have never had any other email .

• Like 3

7 hours ago, john87 said:

How much speed do ii actually need?? Virgin have got me on 200 whatever they ares, but all i ever do is to watch, errrm, streaming videos, youtube and emails.

Definitely not 200. iPlayer or Netflix you need about 5, unless you want 4k films on your telly. We have about 30 and I have two teenagers in the house, it's fine.

It does sound like you're paying a lot for speed you don't need.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

It does sound like you're paying a lot for speed you don't need.

Most people do. I got by with 4Mbs for years, then got up to 100Mbs and didn't really notice much difference and now have 21Mbs - enough for HD catchup, Youtube, surfing etc. 

The same goes for people purchasing the latest quad core super duper PC for £600 and then run a Word Processor, the odd spread sheet on it and surf a bit where an old banger of a laptop will do...especially if you stick an SSD in it...like a turbo!

• Like 1

Going back a few years, think it was Pentium Pro's at the time, can't remember, anyways I set up an old 386 with DOS and a web browser - for casual surfing it was just as quick.

(Maybe I should explain, 386 was an intel PC chip from about 30 years ago, DOS is the operating system that Windows is built on, and a lot more powerful if you could use it, not so pretty though, ahh, happy days.)

Still going back to the old days, dial up modems were 56k (500 times slower than broadband), because that is the speed that someone can type at, if you don't want anything more fancy than a few e-mails then any speed is good.

• Like 2