How to run a job site, do’s and dont’s

I used to work with a gang when I was up North. We had an agreement that if anyone started griping on the job they would be called Susan (as in Sulky Susan) for the rest of the day, they would be introduced to anyone including customers as Susan, even in the pub on the way home, griping soon stopped.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

As above (edit - to sime42), but also keep the butts of the second pile off the tips of the first, or you’ll be wrestling all day.

Having a t-shirt like this is also important so people know what’s what.

Mick’s is in French, obviously.

9166A8F4-D9AC-4195-BB39-27E7D3A0EFBD.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

As above (edit - to sime42), but also keep the butts of the second pile off the tips of the first, or you’ll be wrestling all day.

Having a t-shirt like this is also important so people know what’s what.

Mick’s is in French, obviously.

9166A8F4-D9AC-4195-BB39-27E7D3A0EFBD.png

I didn’t realise you used to work for Fountains? Good of you to keep recycling old work uniform!

• Haha 3

Not so much job specific, but if you've had a really long/hard/crap week, try and sort an easy short day to make up for it 

Try and share the driving about as much as possible 

A yeti cool box full of ice cold cans does wonders in heat 

Pay people same day for overtime saturday/sunday 

I want to say fill up the vans/chippers on the return leg of the job ready for the morning, but we never do 

Last tip (if you'll pardon the pun) if you're umming and arring??? About whether you will need to tip around 11am, just do it. Don't wait till 2pm and have to stay late waiting for them to come back 

• Like 1

More ag related than arb, but here goes, pull the entire tree to the chipper, sned off the light branches straight into the chipper and blow it into a tipper trailer, lift the heavy trunks into another trailer with the loader/ pulling tractor after cutting them into lengths. Have a few short lengths under the stack on the trailer so that the loader can easily get under the logs for unloading.

Another tip is stack the branches butt end down against the chip trailer so you don’t have to bend down every time you pick up a branch.

When I was landscaping back in the early nineties I worked with a gang of about a dozen, four sets of three that switched around depending on the job.

On Friday afternoon we used to knock off after lunch, head to the fuel station and fill up the trucks, power wash all the vehicles, trailers, rotorvators etc, the vans where kept clean inside because the owner inspected them prior to getting the wages out. All the hand tools would be cleaned and counted ready for the following week.

There where two pints waiting behind the bar at the pub round the corner for each employee. After about an hour the boss would arrive and have a chat about the weeks jobs, any problems with kit, staff etc.

The two pints where just enough to wet the whistle and get people opening their gobs, but not enough to start argy bargy, this meant that nothing really festered amongst the employees as things where nipped in the bud.

Edited by 5thelement
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1