How to run a job site, do’s and dont’s

Dunno if this’ll have legs but it’s something I think about a lot, it’s an underrated skill, but can make a hell of a difference to the bottom line.

I’ve worked with and for some great and some terrible guys and feel I have gleaned a few bits over the years. Even from up a tree, I’m like the Eye of Sauron, judging, always judging.

There’s nothing I like more than going home in good time with the job done, so to this end I thought I’d throw a few tips in and see if anyone else has any.

1: If it’s a job with multiple trees over different areas, but don’t get tempted to move on to the next bit before you’ve finished where you are. Younger, eager climbers often browbeat you with ‘I’ll just go and strip that tree out round the back now shall I?’ When there’s still work to be done in the front.

It just spreads the job out and you lose control. The correct answer is ‘no, stay here, we’ll finish this, then we’ll all go round there together’

2: In the afternoon when everyone is losing energy try to set a target

‘look, let’s get this done, then that’s it for the day’ give the poor bastards something to aim for.

3: People (who work with or for me) often comment on my reasonable and friendly attitude, however when you’re in the middle of something really gutty try and encourage with ‘I know this is a nightmare, but once we’re done with this it’ll be easy street for the rest of the week’

4: It’s ok to be a ball breaker about always raking towards the truck on the final cleanup, that sh#t is serious, and they will thank you in the future (this is true)

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 21

A friend was telling me about an old fisherman bloke;

Out on the boat, when he could see the lads where getting weary and fed up, he would give them a bar of chocolate to perk them up and get the job done.

Another friend (who has a few tales....) said when he was in charge of a parcels warehouse he would take in a load of weed and speed for the lads every friday, gets the shift done in no time!

• Sad 1

If you can get machinery to the job then do - avoid as much heavy lifting as possible at every opportunity.

Don’t sned any more brash out than absolutely necessary until at the chipper, it makes shifting arisings easier and tidier. 

Always go for the fell wherever possible - this rule trumps all others in every situation! 

• Like 8

Always start with the hardest/most awkward tree of the day.

if its a single day job you want the back of the job broken by lunchtime. ie crown off

in a similar vein to always rake back towards the chipper, if theres multiple trees to come out on a site and you have a machine there start with the tree furthest away from the chipper (if access allows) as the machine can always be tidying back towards the chipper/brash stack if theres a slack few minutes plus then your not moving over ground/work again once its tidied 

Make sure every team has at least one timber tape in the van, nothing I hate more than timber that isn't cut to spec

• Like 4

As mentioned above, something like ice creams on a hot day, or a cold beer at the end of a tough shift, or a pack of choccy biscuits at morning break can make a decent boost to moral. And simply telling someone they did a great job can also make a massive difference. 

• Like 4

I agree with getting the awkward stuff done first too.

We did a job last year that had 3 or 4 mighty Ash to come out. I showed the lads these on the first site visit, but there were the last ones to get felled. It was good to have them motivated to get to the whoppers at the end! Even when immediately after we dropped them all, the worst bout of freezing rain/sleet came thundering down and soaked us to the bone!

• Like 2

Have a vague plan, but don't doggedly stick to it. When it is not flowing as it should, change it early before it becomes a problem .

Make sure that other peoples views are heard, even if you don't think what they are saying is right. Sometimes people suprise you with good suggestions that will save you time and money.

Individually thank everyone working at the end of the day, there is nothing worse than flogging your guts out all day, and feeling Unvalued.

• Like 3

A small one, obvious to most, but maybe not to a rookie. If arisings/brash ever has to be piled up for any reason; make sure it's all aligned, with butt end towards chipper/trailer/final destination. Makes a huge difference to further handling, minimising the velcro effect.

Nothing worse than trying to clear up a tangled pile of crap on a hot day. 

• Like 4