Covid-19

Ratman

Indeed Spud,

But! the death toll from other ailments that were NOT dealt with BECAUSE of Covid, could well exceed the true Covid deaths (i.e. not including falsely Covid recorded deaths) and I believe I saw some figures to this effect.

And of course there will be multiple other mutant strains of Covid, which may be even more untreatable..

Plus, God knows what other lurgy comes in out of the blue and completely blindsides a world obsessed by Covid,

like most all Armies fighting the next war based on their experiences in the last war.

Doh

P.S.

I also saw a chart hi-lighting the decreasing winter mortality, year-on-year, in the UK, over say this past 20 years, probably due to more proactive health care and the Flu innoculation programme, so in part Covid may simply be playing catch-up on all those who cheated death in these previous years.

My take is, we will live with Covid, or die with Covid, but we will be unlikely to avoid Covid, since it is a virus like the Flu, which has not ever been eliminated.

So life simply MUST go on, regardless.

Marcus

P.P.S.

I hope me nor mine catch Covid, especially with wor daughter spending 6 weeks(and poss more) in a Covid positive ward.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16F9486E-351A-4A09-8E2B-5A2B379BAE0A.jpeg.ec9551aef163ae2c74f840d64d0de542.jpeg

Just out of interest, would anyone know about the pandemic if it hadn't been on the telly etc? If it had been around for a few months before starring on tv, did any of you notice? I didn't and I don't know anyone who did and to be honest I still wouldn't be aware of it. Around here everyone is well and kind of going about life as normal as they can. Should be dropping like flies by now, perhaps just lucky? Just wondering like. 

Well, I’ve had it, so has my wife and son, 6 work colleagues and my GP died of it.

Does that count?

What point are you trying to make?

Ischaemic heart disease kills 40000 a year in uk, nearly a third of covid deaths, and we all know about that

• Like 4

Jeez skyhuck, you really do have a chip on your shoulder with different points of view. What in my post was a "moronic tinpot conspiracy theory".

I guess I was just pondering on whether the reaction to this would be the same without all the hype. Sorry to not be so good with words or have the same level of intellect as you, but I struggle with and think I always will, the way in which lives and the country is being destroyed by what I see as a massive over reaction to this. 

It is not just virus and NHS full-stop, as some people only see, the knock on effect of the reaction to this situation far outweighs the virus.

And for you to say about anyone who hasn't been directly effected by the pandemic, I don't know anyone who hasn't, the reaction to it has seen to that.

As Difflock said above, life must go on. 

No point me replying anymore on this subject, so to save you having to read anymore shite, I will bow out and go back to firewood and chainsaw topics. 👍 

• Like 5

My lasting hope for all of this is that people start to look after their health as a matter of course.

For too long, people have treated the NHS as an insurance policy, there to pick up the pieces after a lifetime of abusing their bodies. 

Covid has really underlined these health inequalities in society. Whenever there is a story on the BBC of a very young person succumbing, they are nearly always extremely overweight. 

I'm looking forward to getting vaccinated and in the mean time I'll continue exercising. Keeping fit and well is the best thing that any individual can do to minimise their chance of ending up in hospital. 

I'm not saying that fit people haven't been seriously affected or even died - there are always exceptions. I do however always despair when in the supermarket and see someone the size of a house shovelling chocolate and junk food into their trolleys. It's such a clear case of cause and effect; eat badly and don't exercise and you will shorten and reduce the quality of your life. And in these times of covid, it's like putting a bulleye on your back for hospital admission.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

My lasting hope for all of this is that people start to look after their health as a matter of course.

For too long, people have treated the NHS as an insurance policy, there to pick up the pieces after a lifetime of abusing their bodies. 

Covid has really underlined these health inequalities in society. Whenever there is a story on the BBC of a very young person succumbing, they are nearly always extremely overweight. 

I'm looking forward to getting vaccinated and in the mean time I'll continue exercising. Keeping fit and well is the best thing that any individual can do to minimise their chance of ending up in hospital. 

I'm not saying that fit people haven't been seriously affected or even died - there are always exceptions. I do however always despair when in the supermarket and see someone the size of a house shovelling chocolate and junk food into their trolleys. It's such a clear case of cause and effect; eat badly and don't exercise and you will shorten and reduce the quality of your life. And in these times of covid, it's like putting a bulleye on your back for hospital admission.
Agreed. I'd always like to know exactly how many of the supposedly "otherwise fit and healthy" younger people succumbing to C-19 are actually overweight. I hope and suspect that it's quite high , but I don't know as I've never seen any figures on it. It's never published. For whatever reason there seems to be a stigma attached to labelling people as overweight or obese. I think this is actually counterproductive in tackling the obesity epidemic in the long term and current pandemic in the short term. In my opinion obesity should be listed as an underlying health condition, especially if it's self-inflicted as is often the case, as you say.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, woodwizzard said:

Jeez skyhuck, you really do have a chip on your shoulder with different points of view. What in my post was a "moronic tinpot conspiracy theory".

I guess I was just pondering on whether the reaction to this would be the same without all the hype. Sorry to not be so good with words or have the same level of intellect as you, but I struggle with and think I always will, the way in which lives and the country is being destroyed by what I see as a massive over reaction to this. 

It is not just virus and NHS full-stop, as some people only see, the knock on effect of the reaction to this situation far outweighs the virus.

And for you to say about anyone who hasn't been directly effected by the pandemic, I don't know anyone who hasn't, the reaction to it has seen to that.

As Difflock said above, life must go on. 

No point me replying anymore on this subject, so to save you having to read anymore shite, I will bow out and go back to firewood and chainsaw topics. 👍 

106K deaths in the UK .   2.23M deaths world wide .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, sime42 said:
44 minutes ago, Big J said:

Read more  

Agreed. I'd always like to know exactly how many of the supposedly "otherwise fit and healthy" younger people succumbing to C-19 are actually overweight. I hope and suspect that it's quite high , but I don't know as I've never seen any figures on it. It's never published. For whatever reason there seems to be a stigma attached to labelling people as overweight or obese. I think this is actually counterproductive in tackling the obesity epidemic in the long term and current pandemic in the short term. In my opinion obesity should be listed as an underlying health condition, especially if it's self-inflicted as is often the case, as you say.

I agree that it is unhelpful. In order for people to be able to take action to minimise their risk of contracting life limiting conditions, they need to have a full picture of what the preventable conditions are. Being overweight is easily avoidable, and should be (as you say) listed as a comorbidity. 

It's going to sound harsh, but I have (as yet) never met an overweight person whose weight was caused by anything other than poor management of diet or exercise. I spent 4.5 years in my teens and into my twenties intentionally gaining weight for weight training (54kg in that time) and calorie management and exercise is not difficult. 

What is nice is that lockdown does seem to have caused a lot of people to exercise consistently. However, I suspect though that many have gone in precisely the opposite direction. 

• Like 3

I hope you are right about changing habits but obesity is here to stay. That genie is out. Shifting tax from healthy foods to unhealthy might make some difference. A safe drug that induces satiety also. Making Abbot Ale low cal would help me.
Hopefully the washing hands thing might last a little longer but the only way forward in the years to come is a more efficient and coordinated response when another pandemic starts to loom. No country would need to shutdown if the health service had capacity but no country is going to run such a service “just in case” due to economics. I’m glad Sweden admitted they got it wrong. I wouldn’t want to live in a society that didn’t go L for Leather to look after it’s vulnerable as that will be me in a couple of decades. Thankfully no government wants the bad press associated with queues of elderly dying on trolleys in hospital corridors.

• Like 2