What would you charge?

AWarb00

3 hours ago, benedmonds said:

But skyhuck's big kit slow and steady method has a huge advantage... Not have employees who cause huge headaches..

Not sure I would call it slow.

I don’t think the pictures do the tree justice. It’s possible the biggest Sycamore I’ve felled. Not massively tall, but huge amount of big timber. The bottom 6ft weighed the best part of 3ton and was a good 5ft across. Each day the timber trailer was pretty full. We let the site exactly as we found it, without a divot in the lawn or a swished flower.

Customer was away, but watched some of the takedown on his cctv. He texted to say he was very happy. I had allowed for 4 days, I’ve had “big timber” trees bite me on the arse before.

Anyone doing that tree without a crane would have taken much longer and smashed the hell out of some of the garden, IMO.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, EdwardC said:

There's an article in the current ARBmagazine on pricing. Page 80.

Basic, but a good start.

Now I have a spreadsheet which has costs in it for the various elements of the work I do. Put the hours I expect things to take in, and out pop's the price.

When I was contracting, pre-2005, I was charging £950.00 +VAT per day for a three man team, £450.00 + VAT per day for a two man team. North West based.

Why over double for an extra man? 

8 hours ago, EdwardC said:

When I was contracting, pre-2005, I was charging £450.00 + VAT per day for a two man team. North West based.

Me too, prices have risen very little since then and at times I think they actually fell.

Back then making money was easy, but there were far far less tree firms out there. 25 years ago when I first started you never saw a chipper these days often see three or mor a day. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Me too, prices have risen very little since then and at times I think they actually fell.

Back then making money was easy, but there were far far less tree firms out there. 25 years ago when I first started you never saw a chipper these days often see three or mor a day. 

Yeah, I notice the amount of tree gangs driving around whenever I’m back in the UK.

I wonder where they all get the work?

2 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Yeah, I notice the amount of tree gangs driving around whenever I’m back in the UK.

I wonder where they all get the work?

They are like confetti round here .

1 hour ago, EdwardC said:

Because the jobs were usually bigger and more techincal and often required more than one vehicle. As for them being an extra groundie, they were all climbers.

For those who have a climber and groundie what is in the risk assessment for climbing without a rescue climber. And if they're a climber why aren't you using them as such.

The numbers still don’t stack up. Not saying you didn’t, just saying it don’t seem to stack up. 

Complexity =  more time (possibly additional skill sets) but 450 for 2 climbers and 950 for 3 makes no sense. 

450 / 2 = 225

225 x 3 = 675 not 950

275 (on top of 225) for the 3rd man?

Makes no sense. 

• Like 1