Staff issues

simonm

I spoke to a 39 yr old yesterday who claimed to have 7 yr experience ability to tow, cs30 31 only, he asked what pay would be I thought as he is a bit older probably with better worth ethic I said around £10 an hour on paye, job and knock 5 weeks paid hol & bank hols. Not enough I was told! 20k a year for quals he had is surely a fair price? Its slowly grinding me down to the point that I dont wanna do the job.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Arbtalk mobile app

that equates to £385 per wk over the yr

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely 7 years experience in a job earns you more than £10?

Experience doesn't necessarily make for a productive worker though, plenty are experienced at doing it wrong, and aren't keen to adapt their methods either.

Experience doesn't necessarily make for a productive worker though, plenty are experienced at doing it wrong, and aren't keen to adapt their methods either.

I agree but the op is complaining he cant find good staff. Lets assume this guy us a good worker,which we dont know as he hasnt been given a trial,he won't join the team as the wages are low. I start labourers on £80 a day. Dont think people should earn less than this for manual work if there willing to try.

It's a tough one!

"About £10/hr" is only "about" £2 more than NLW (£7.50)

Urban myth has it that stacking shelves in Aldi is available at £10/hr - probably with the promotion potential of a large company.

If I had the option of 2 jobs, similar pay, but 1 was indoors and relatively benign, the other was hard graft, outdoors in all weather, I'd probably take Aldi.

Sorry, can't offer any insightful inspiration.

It's a tough one!

"About £10/hr" is only "about" £2 more than NLW (£7.50)

Urban myth has it that stacking shelves in Aldi is available at £10/hr - probably with the promotion potential of a large company.

If I had the option of 2 jobs, similar pay, but 1 was indoors and relatively benign, the other was hard graft, outdoors in all weather, I'd probably take Aldi.

Sorry, can't offer any insightful inspiration.

I think you've said it all Mr Johnson.

I spoke to a 39 yr old yesterday who claimed to have 7 yr experience ability to tow, cs30 31 only, he asked what pay would be I thought as he is a bit older probably with better worth ethic I said around £10 an hour on paye, job and knock 5 weeks paid hol & bank hols. Not enough I was told! 20k a year for quals he had is surely a fair price? Its slowly grinding me down to the point that I dont wanna do the job.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Arbtalk mobile app

did you ask what pay he expected? you could of taken him on a trail and found he was worth the extra ( or not!)

So you're saying it's all about money? A friend of mine tried this out recently, took a guy who always moans about pay and thinks his abilities are greater than they are and put him on £15 per hour as a 'trainee climber' or developing climber whatever...he claimed to have previous experience but a little rusty, however this didn't appear to be true as he lacked some fundamental techniques and skills . Anyway there was no real change in performance and it didn't seem to inspire him to up his game or anything. Was just chuffed to be on more money whilst doing what he was before and took more days off as he could afford it.

So you're saying it's all about money? A friend of mine tried this out recently, took a guy who always moans about pay and thinks his abilities are greater than they are and put him on £15 per hour as a 'trainee climber' or developing climber whatever...he claimed to have previous experience but a little rusty, however this didn't appear to be true as he lacked some fundamental techniques and skills . Anyway there was no real change in performance and it didn't seem to inspire him to up his game or anything. Was just chuffed to be on more money whilst doing what he was before and took more days off as he could afford it.

Should grossing £15ph for climbing trees be "inspiring"?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk